Linux training for free

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The man of Shadows

Linux training for free

Post by The man of Shadows »

I see on the web lots of people willing to train you in Linux for a fee.
I don't how ever see any one willing to train for free.
Are there any training courses online for free?
After all Linux software is free why not the training?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Linux training for free

Post by DataMan »

What kind of training are you looking for (need to be a bit more specific)?

Hopefully, you have exhausted all of the resources here ( search button) and, of course Google has turned up nothing for you also.

-DataMan
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

The man of Shadows wrote:After all Linux software is free why not the training?

and how would the company like for example Cannonical make money then?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

So, my 18 years in Information Technology should just be given away just because you may want to learn what I know?
If I write a book about it, should it be sold or given away?
I should impart all my knowledge to you for nothing?

According to your "logic", I could follow its example and conclude these "facts"....

All weathermen are bald.
Some weathermen wear bowties.
Therefore all bald men that wear bowties must be weathermen!
sophistry:
noun
°An argument that seems plausible, but is fallacious or misleading, especially one devised deliberately to be so.

ie. Mental Masturbation.

Stop it, you'll go blind.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

OH, that's so funny!

OK, a quick search gets
http://education-portal.com/articles/10 ... nline.html
--the rest is up to you.

if you were interested in training that might have some value in the marketplace, either something specific such as red hat (RHCE) or the LPI certificates would help..
The man of Shadows

Post by The man of Shadows »

Being new to Linux I have no idea what kind of training is out there. If I had to choose one I guess it would be security.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you really want to learn Linux, you can do it the way most of the members of this forum did and do. Use Linux every day, tweak it, play with it, break it, fix it, reinstall it and all the time you are doing this read everything you can find about Linux. Here's a great starting point:

http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/

There are thousands of links to software and articles arranged alphabetically by topic. There is also a pretty good search engine.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

If you wish to study for the LPI Certification exams that will cost money,but if you simply wish to structure your own learning there are study materials available free of charge
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LPI_Linux_Certification

There is also some useful information on this site and it's forum http://linuxbasix.com/
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

There are enough free books, free chat services, and free forums to consider the training free. Can't expect people to start spending their personal time too with you, so that you can learn an OS that can be learned by reading and trying.
amina

Post by amina »

Honest question, I really do not want to flame, but have to ask:

While I understand the points you make about not expecting training materials/books to be free (and I don't do), I don't really understand why a lot of people on the other side expect the same from software.
I have wondered for some time now, why some rather expect people to share the result of their knowledge (code) than knowledge itself (book)?
In both cases the creator spent a lot of time learning, then writing the program/book, and they could earn (more) money by closing the code/selling the product. The argument I often hear, that once written, redistributable with no additional costs is valid for both code and books/training material. Same for openness, sharing, freedom of information and other ideological things.

I am happy I can use Mint and other FOSS software, but so am I when I find a free downloadable book on a topic that interests me. And in both cases I truly appreciate the efforts made by others to make this possible and their selflessness.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

There are lots of free Linux resources... you are using one right now!

If you are looking for some place to start - this is probably as good as any >>> http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules. ... pageid=224
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Some things Man was never meant to know. For everything else, there's Google
Think TechnoGeek's sig pretty much says it all. Google sometimes truly is the best answer. Errrrr actually Google usually is the best answer. For real ... if you mean a linux academy. Well actually you're virtually standing in one right now. Mint's forum has an endless amount of Linux related information contained here. Between google, this forum and perhaps sites like scribd.com etc. Your training is ready to proceed.

When you can snatch this kernel from my hand. You will be a linux uber leet ninja. Sighs ... sorry folks, sleep deprivation is kicking in hard.

:D

Return to “Beginner Questions”