install kde

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

install kde

Postby jimp on Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:23 am

hi, I just recently discovered Linux Mint, I loaded it on a desktop and found it extremely easy to set up my hardware, even things like my blue tooth GPS. Well at this point I thought to myself that if i can run roadnav on my laptop I can get away from windows there also. My only problem was that my laptop doesnt have a dvd, only a cd drive, so I downloaded the 4.0-XFCE-BETA-008.iso This installed nicely on my laptop, I was Impressed with the migration tool that saw my xp partition and migrated my files over without a hitch, nice. Anyway my question here is that I would like to have KDE and am wondering if I can simply "apt-get install kde-desktop" and get basically the same thing I am running on my desktop computer (4.0-KDE-BETA-011.iso)?
jimp
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: install kde

Postby Husse on Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:02 am

I think you should just use kde not kde-desktop. This should work, but I don't know if it breaks some Mint specifics - probably not
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby jimp on Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:25 pm

well I did the apt-get kde and got KDE but its not like the community edition of Daryna that im running on my desktop computer. I was hoping that I may be able to split the dvd into 2 cd's and install that way but as it is a live cd system that uses squashfs this doesn't seem possible. Is there any other way to get this KDE Community edition other than dvd? like a minimal install and upgrade from the web, or an install cd vs the live dvd? even a network install method that would make it possible to use the dvd on another machine to install from would work?
Thanks
jimp
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:48 pm

After KDE Daryna goes final, a CD version will be available. The first version just comes with a lot of extra apps, so it has to go on a DVD.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Husse on Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:55 am

Don't remember if I've seen anything about a miniKDE as with Bianca but let's hope so
The final is probably only a few days away, some minor things need to be fixed
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby 67GTA on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:15 am

Boo was hinting at a CD version. http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_kde_b11.php
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions