A few questions before attempting to switch

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

A few questions before attempting to switch

Postby weir on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:19 pm

I've used Windows all my life (pretty exclusively) and have recently purchased a notebook with Vista, and well . . . I think it's about time I made a change.

The notebook in question is a HP DV6645CA. I have tried Ubuntu and Linux Mint live CD's with some success but also a few problems. Before I decide to dive in and try this out, I have a few questions:

1. WLAN is a broadcom chipset (I can confirm the model when I'm at home on the notebook in question if necessary). This doesn't work 'out of the box', I understand I can use a windows driver which I would assume isn't the best option, but I would be willing to try if necessary. Can someone point me the right direction to make this work? Or let me know if I need to provide more information.

2. The onboard video is and nvidia 7150 adapter, I bought this notebook over another with ATI video because I understood nvidia support was some what better for *nix OS'. I haven't had much luck with this in my attempts on the live CD's, I basically need help from scratch to make this work.

3. Tablets, I have a Wacom Bamboo Fun (well, I will on Dec 25). As far as I know they are very well supported in *nix, just curious as to whether there is anything I'll need to know to set this up.

4. iTunes purchases, obviously need to strip the DRM to play them in Amarok, this topic might be better to ask else where, but any suggestions? (I really don't want to burn a few hundred songs then rip them again before trying this).

That about sums up my questions/concerns before I dive head first into this. I would defenitely say I'm very comfortable with a computer and don't have many problems once I have a push in the right direction. If anyone can help out I would really appreciate it, I was hoping to start this tonight and have a working install up and running with most of the kinks ironed out before the weekend's out.
weir
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: A few questions before attempting to switch

Postby MagnusB on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:20 pm

1) I need to know the card to be more specific, but ndiswrapper is the way to go wit windows wireless drivers.
2) Restricted drivers: It is pretty easy to install both in Mint and Ubuntu, even though I have no experience with nVidea drivers (GO INTEL!!)
3) Sorry, I have no idea!
4) Pretty easy, burn your MP3 as a cd with iTunes, then rip em back in Amarok, et voila, no more DRM :)
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby weir on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:13 pm

I did a little digging through some mint reviews and they make the wireless and nv video sound pretty painless as you say. The tablet seems to be a no issue after talking to a designer friend, apparently Wacom tablets work wondefully in *nix.

The only problem that remains is the music, like you say I could burn them and rip it with Amarok, but then I need to rip 300+ tracks (sounds like a good time). I have videos I need to find a way to convert as well . . . this is something I can probably figure out on my own though, I won't bother anyone else with it.

Thanks for the help, I'm getting tired of Windows quirks, and I really look forward to learning something new, hopefully I'll be up and running by the end of tonight!
weir
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:52 pm

I suggested the burning and ripping as it is the only legal way to do it. As for videos, I think Mint can play most formats out of the box, but if they are DRM infested it could be a bit harder...
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby weir on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:10 pm

I have Linux Mint installed and working, but I am having a little trouble with the video and wlan.

I've installed the nvidia drivers and I can set my screen res to 1280x800 with the nvidia settings panel, but once I restart I'm back to 800x600. I've looking around online and it sounds like I need to add the resolutions to xorg.conf? I'm trying to figure out how to do this right now, not having the most luck, if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear it.

As well, my wireless, I could only find a Vista driver which doesn't seem to work when I try to install a windows driver. The Restricted Drivers installer downloaded a 'Firmware for Broadcom 43xx chipset family' but I'm not having much luck tracking down a working driver.

Any help?
weir
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:09 am

For the xorg question, open terminal and enter code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Answer the questions presented.

See the wiki for your wifi question:
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi
newW2