I am at the beginning

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
K3ORS

I am at the beginning

Post by K3ORS »

Just inherited a computer with Linux Mint Felecia on it. I know zero about Linux. How do I access the internet and get programs? It looks like everything except the system has been slicked because all folders appear empty and all I have been able to do is bring up the home page. Tried to type on a blank page but that didn't work. I have a disk labeled Felecia 6. Where is a good Linux kindergarten class so I can start learning? A lot of Ham Radio folks are using this system now so would like to learn. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: I am at the beginning

Post by tdockery97 »

The best advice is to read as much as you can. Scan back through the Newbie Questions and the Tutorials topics in the forums. I assure you that you can learn most of what you need to know to become at least an intermediate Linux user by doing that.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Mint 6 Felicia is an older version of Mint and has passed end-of-life some time ago. The software repositories have closed and the version is no longer updated.

If you want to learn Linux, I would recommend obtaining a DVD of the current version, Mint 11 Katya, and installing it on the computer you recently got. DVDs are available from OSDisc.com (http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/ ... istrowatch ), Linux Cd.org (http://www.linuxcd.org/view_distro.php ), from EBay, and many other sources. Cost is generally $1.50 - $5.00 US plus shipping of about $1.00.

Or you can download the .iso file from the Mint Home Page (http://www.linuxmint.com/), burn the image to a DVD or usb flash drive and install it for free.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

It looks like you need to add a new user, but doing so is impossible without having the root password. My best advice is to download a more recent version of Mint that's still supported (at least version 9) and do a clean install so that you can start from a clean slate. Burning the disk image to a disk is easy, booting into the CD is easy, and the installer is quite intuitive. All of these procedures are well documented.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Wow... where to start...

OK - a few questions that might help us help you...
1) Do you have any experience with any computer operating system (DOS, Windows, Mac OS, Unix, etc.)? What did you use to create your post above? What is your comfort/skill level with that system?
2) I don't think you will need the disk labeled "Felecia 6"... if you find yourself needing the disk and the disk doesn't work, not to worry, you can download any of the versions of Linux Mint here >>> http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php. By the way, on the list, "obsolete" refers to the fact that versions prior to Linux Mint 9 Isadora are no longer supported.
3) When you say "a lot of ham radio folks are using this system" - what "system" are you referring to? Linux in general, Linux Mint in general, or Linux Mint 6 Felecia in particular? Since Felicia has been "obsolete" since 4/2010, unless you are married to Mint 6 Felicia, don't be surprised if you get recommendations suggesting a move to at least a supported version of Linux Mint (Mint 9 Isadora or later). With that in mind...
4) Tell us about the computer - desktop or laptop? How old? What is its CPU? How much RAM? Network capable? If so, wireless, wired, or both? Hard drive size? CD or DVD drive? USB capable?
5) In terms of Kindergarten - sorry there isn't one... but there are tutorials all over the place... read this forum and the stickies at the top of it and you will get a lot of useful information... >>> This (http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules. ... pageid=224) is a tutorial that starts out pretty basic. Give it a try...

Happy Minting... :D
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
K3ORS

Post by K3ORS »

Reorx wrote:Wow... where to start...

OK - a few questions that might help us help you...
1) Do you have any experience with any computer operating system (DOS, Windows, Mac OS, Unix, etc.)? What did you use to create your post above? What is your comfort/skill level with that system?

Currently use Windows XP on Home and a laptop Computer. Have never "played" with the system so I guess my level is basic. I am comfortable with computers and various programs.

2) I don't think you will need the disk labeled "Felecia 6"... if you find yourself needing the disk and the disk doesn't work, not to worry, you can download any of the versions of Linux Mint here >>> http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php. By the way, on the list, "obsolete" refers to the fact that versions prior to Linux Mint 9 Isadora are no longer supported.

OK

3) When you say "a lot of ham radio folks are using this system" - what "system" are you referring to? Linux in general, Linux Mint in general, or Linux Mint 6 Felecia in particular? Since Felicia has been "obsolete" since 4/2010, unless you are married to Mint 6 Felicia, don't be surprised if you get recommendations suggesting a move to at least a supported version of Linux Mint (Mint 9 Isadora or later). With that in mind...

I assume (watch out for that one) they mean Linux in general.

4) Tell us about the computer - desktop or laptop? How old? What is its CPU? How much RAM? Network capable? If so, wireless, wired, or both? Hard drive size? CD or DVD drive? USB capable?

The computer I received is an ACER Aspire 3004WLGI, label says it has wireless capability, DVD and has USB Ports. My Stepsister's husband sent it to me with no manual.

5) In terms of Kindergarten - sorry there isn't one... but there are tutorials all over the place... read this forum and the stickies at the top of it and you will get a lot of useful information... >>> This (http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules. ... pageid=224) is a tutorial that starts out pretty basic. Give it a try...

I'll give it a try. At age 68 maybe an old dog can learn new tricks. Thanks again

Happy Minting... :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Thanks for the help and info.
K3ORS

Post by K3ORS »

Thanks to all the replies. Will work on getting a new version and the education. Thanks again to everyone who responded. I may be back. This is a really helpful place and really didn't expect such a fast response.
blueXrider

Post by blueXrider »

Looks like some solid advice up there. Good luck

Return to “Beginner Questions”