Mint-menu is acting weird

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Mint-menu is acting weird

Post by midas »

Hello,

I have installed Linux Mint Katya (gnome-64 bits) yesterday and the whole system is acting snappy and completely troublefree! Only one minor glitch. I want to change 'Favorites' icons and spaces and separators. I can change and switch everything but NOT the separators.

As a result I have 4 separators at top of the Favorites-menu and I don't seem to be able to do anything with them. I can't select them or even delete them. I am running Mint-menu 5.2.2

Is there any workaround??

Greetz, midas
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint-menu is acting weird

Post by xenopeek »

This may work to clear up the separators. Indeed, I also can not move or remove them from the menu. For this you need to open Terminal (find it in the menu).

First, make a backup of the file you are about to edit:

Code: Select all

cp ~/.linuxmint/mintMenu/applications.list ~/.linuxmint/mintMenu/applications.list.backup
Next, edit the file:

Code: Select all

gedit ~/.linuxmint/mintMenu/applications.list
You will find lines only containing the word "separator", you can remove these. Save & close the file, and perhaps logout / login to effect the changes. If anything does not work right, restore the backup you made.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint-menu is acting weird

Post by midas »

Hai Vincent...thanks to you I do understand something of the science behind the scene. Many thanks!

I do understand it is just a workaround for the moment...but it works quite well! I have just put a '#' mark before the line containing 'separator'.
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)

Return to “Beginner Questions”