Sound quality in Mint seems dull...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Sound quality in Mint seems dull...

Postby adredz on Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:01 am

Compared to XP, it is subpar. is there any way to improve it?
adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sound quality in Mint seems dull...

Postby EnvoyRising on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:58 pm

Sure, but the problem is that you haven't provided us with any information.

Your sound card, currently configured audio codecs (I'd assume ALSA since you're presumably running a staple Mint box), and even the Linux Kernel you use can affect sound quality.

If you haven't the time or motivation to write back to us with some specs, I'd suggest googling ESD, ALSA, and maybe even the name of your sound card (even if it's onboard) +linux or +ubuntu.
EnvoyRising
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Acid7711 on Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:01 pm

I forget exactly what kernel version the Alsa updates were merged into, but that might be worth a look. Also, make sure you're audio isn't maxed out on volume for the channels. If that happens, I've noticed on some cards at least, that they start to crackle and sound like crap.
Acid7711
Level 2
Level 2

Postby adredz on Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:08 am

sorry for the late reply. i allocate only at most 3 hrs each day on the net so i couldn't catch up with your replies. anyway, i don't know exactly what model is my mobo. all i know is that it is an ASUS micro edition which is compatible with pinless Intel chip. i don't have external sound card. my sound relies solely on the mobo. i guess it's because i haven't updated my Mint since i installed it, isn't it?
adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby EnvoyRising on Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:14 am

DOH!!

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier!

Post the results of the following commands:

List all your hardware:
Code: Select all
lspci -v

Search for all packages that are installed and related to the terms 'audio', 'sound', 'esd', 'alsa', or 'oss' :
Code: Select all
aptitude search ~iaudio ~isound ~ialsa ~ioss ~iesd

Attach your current kernel config, which is located in "/boot" *
*If you aren't sure which one you use, look in your "/boot/grub/menu.lst" file.

If you post all of this information, not only will we be able to better serve you (see, we aren't as bad as XP/Vista customer service), you'll have a better understanding of what is or isn't configured (correctly) on your system.
EnvoyRising
Level 1
Level 1

Postby adredz on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:03 am

@EnvoyRising

it's been 2days since i last logged in. if only i wouldn't have to run to an internet shop to get hooked up, i could've replied sooner. anyway, i'll try get those info at home and post it here asap. though i haven't solved my problem yet, i'm so grateful to have this much of assistance. ubuntu members say the community here are slow, but they're wrong...what's been happening is the opposite.lol...
adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions