Refresh rate on linux_mint 4?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Refresh rate on linux_mint 4?

Postby re*s.t.a.r.s.*2 on Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:16 pm

Hello Linux Comunity.....

I am trying Linux- Mint and so far has'nt been deficult on my, I know Gnoma its the desktop and that there is not registry as in windows OS.

Can anyone whilling to tell me how can i change the Mint refresh rate of my monitor, the Nvidia driver was locked but i suseffuly unlocked it, i found where to change the refresh rate but there are the options of 50 up to 65 HZ y i remember,
I am in a Dual boot windows XP and Linux mint, default OS Linux, i may consider changing that in the future but not now...
My main concert its the painfull refresh rate i have , i cant stand at it, and you know if i dont read tutorial and this forum on Mint its kind of not Worth it.... please forgive my English and if some of my Words here are a litle bit agressive....

Thank you so much Looking forward on this wonderfull comunity.... Regards
re*s.t.a.r.s.*2
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Refresh rate on linux_mint 4?

Postby re*s.t.a.r.s.*2 on Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:32 pm

Bump it!!!!

Please anyone, i wanna learn more linux, say a simple yes or not, if possible
re*s.t.a.r.s.*2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:15 pm

OK. I thought I'd wait and see if anyone else answered this. But you are in a real hurry so, I'll give you what I have done and then what I have seen posted here as well (just in case what I have done didn't work). I will not be responsible for any damage to your hardware. :)

Don't know what have you tried so far, so I'll suggest that you run Envy and install the latest driver for you nvidia graphics if you haven't. If that didn't do it, then you may want to know what your current settings are. It's not necessary but it's good information for later if none of this works. Open a terminal and enter:

xvidtune

Make note of the pop-up warning. When you select the cancel button on this pop-up window the window with the current sync rate data will close, so you may want to write them down for comparison later.

Next run the following command in a terminal:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg --frontend=gnome

This will start a configuration session that will ask questions that will be used to reconfigure your user settings. When this completes and you reboot you should have settings that look good. If not then you will want to do what others have done. Manually edit the refresh rates in the xorg.conf file. It is located at: /etc/X11/xorg.conf

To do this start by entering the following in a terminal:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

When the text editor opens the file scroll down to Section "Monitor"
It will have something like:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Name of your monitor or Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

You want to add Horizsync and vertrefresh after the line starting with Option. For example you would have something like this:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
Horizsync 30-70 (what your hardware specification specifies)
Vertrefresh 50-160 (what your hardware specification specifies)
EndSection

Please note the values you put here for Horizsync and Vertrefresh should match your monitor specifications. I will not be responsible for any damage to your hardware. :))

I hope you are successful and you enjoy Linux Mint.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby re*s.t.a.r.s.*2 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:51 pm

Thanks for answer me....

Well i di actually installed the most uptodate driver from Envy control panel, driver got upgraded , when i rebooted back to the system, i went to the nvidia control panel if that the name it use, and tried to change refresh rate, which there was the options from 50 up to 65 HZ, well this meant no luck....
And then i learned about the APT upgrade command, did that installed a bunch of update, restarted went again to nvidia control panel and changed from 60 to 85 HZ , and the worked again....
Thanks for your help, must learn more about this OS, i am in now heheheh will see you later
re*s.t.a.r.s.*2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:15 pm

This is fantastic news. Great to see you have things up and running. Welcome aboard and happy computing. ;)
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions