HP Officejet 6110 all-in-one will not scan

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

HP Officejet 6110 all-in-one will not scan

Postby wspurlock on Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:29 pm

Hope that someone can help with this my all-in-one printer is working fine under Mint 4.0 but I cannot get the scanner to work no matter what I try. I've checked and it is supported by HPLIP which is installed along with Xsane. Xsane after a long time searching will find it but again after a long wait returns an error and says that it cannot connect. The error is " Error during i/o device.Someone using Ubuntu last year using Ubuntu and corrected it by commenting all the scanners he did need support for in the dll.conf file, restarted the HP 6110 and Xsane worked. So my question may be where do I find this dll.conf.file, and how do I comment things out?
wspurlock
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: HP Officejet 6110 all-in-one will not scan

Postby newW2 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:50 am

To locate a file enter the following in a terminal:
Code:
sudo updatedb
locate filename

Xsane is a stand-alone utility that I don't have need for so it isn't installed on my rig, and I can't give you the path to the config file. I expect it will be someplace like /usr or /etc.

Did you go to this site on the Ubuntu form:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ght=HP6110

Another info source to locate information on scanners is:
http://www.sane-project.org/
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mbaker824 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:44 pm

wspurlock wrote:Hope that someone can help with this my all-in-one printer is working fine under Mint 4.0 but I cannot get the scanner to work no matter what I try. I've checked and it is supported by HPLIP which is installed along with Xsane. Xsane after a long time searching will find it but again after a long wait returns an error and says that it cannot connect. The error is " Error during i/o device.Someone using Ubuntu last year using Ubuntu and corrected it by commenting all the scanners he did need support for in the dll.conf file, restarted the HP 6110 and Xsane worked. So my question may be where do I find this dll.conf.file, and how do I comment things out?

Like Ubuntu, Mint creates a pretty basic printer definition. Your problem most likely lies with the DeviceURI defined in /etc/cups/printers.conf. My printer uses an IP connection rather than USB, but maybe an example will help anyway. Here's the default DeviceURI mint created:

DeviceURI socket://192.168.1.201

And here's what was required by HPLIP for the scanner to work:

DeviceURI hp:/net/Photosmart_2600_series?ip=192.168.1.201

You can also see the DeviceURI in use by selecting System->Administration->Printing, then right-clicking on your printer, selecting Properties, then the Connection tab (although I'm not entirely sure, since I'm not using a USB printer).

Anyway, to find out what URI's to use for your printer, execute the following command in a Terminal window:

hp-makeuri printer_serial_number

-OR-

hp-makeuri USB_bus_ID:USB_device_ID

If you use the latter, you would need to first execute 'lsusb' to find the correct bus/device ID's.

This should return three URI's - CUPS URI, SANE URI, and HP Fax URI. Change your existing printer definition to use the specified CUPS URI, then create a new printer (call it "Officejet6110 Fax" maybe), and give it the specified HP Fax URI. XSane should now be able to find your printer, and faxing should work as well. It's not necessary to create a printer using the SANE URI.

Hope this helps,
--Mark
mbaker824
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mbaker824 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:15 pm

mbaker824 wrote:You can also see the DeviceURI in use by selecting System->Administration->Printing, then right-clicking on your printer, selecting Properties, then the Connection tab (although I'm not entirely sure, since I'm not using a USB printer).

Actually, you'd probably be better off just editing /etc/cups/printers.conf directly, rather than trying to make this happen through the Printing applet; I just tried to do that for drill, and it's confusing at best. You have to be root to even view this file, so execute 'gksu nautilus' in a Terminal window and enter your password when prompted; this will give you a root file manager window from which you can edit and save the file (make a backup first!). To create the fax printer, simply copy everything between the
<Printer printername>

and

</Printer>

tags (including the tags themselves) and past it back into the file; then change the printername and the DeviceURI.

-- Mark
mbaker824
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mbaker824 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:37 pm

OK, one last thing. After you have your printers properly defined, you should consider installing the HPLIP gui utilities. To do that, execute the following in a Terminal window:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install hplip-gui python-reportlab

You can then run the toolbox by executing 'hp-toolbox' in a Terminal window, or you can create a menu item for it if you like.

-- Mark
mbaker824
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wspurlock on Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:29 pm

Thank you all so much for the help. The scanner is working just as good if not somewhat better than it did under XP now! This gets me one step closer to going Window free. Only two or three more things to go.
wspurlock
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mbaker824 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:10 pm

wspurlock wrote:Only two or three more things to go.

And what would those be? :)
mbaker824
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions