Setting Primary DNS ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Setting Primary DNS ?

Post by aes2011 »

I'm trying to set my primary DNS to be what I want but I'm not having much luck. I'm using Mint 11 Main Edition's default Network Manager. How do I make Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, as my primary and secondary DNS? Or is it really not a big deal?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Setting Primary DNS ?

Post by Garvan »

If you click on the network icon in your panel, and select Edit, you get a dialog where you can select your active network connection. Select this and click Edit, then click the IPV4 tab, then you will see a text box where you can set DNS servers as a coma separated list.

I have experimented with Google's DNS servers but have not seen any noticeable difference at my location. However I have added the OpenDNS servers because I find I need these to make GoogleEarth reliable.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Google has the setup instructions for this: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns ... html#setup. Scroll down to Linux and if "Changing DNS server settings on Ubuntu" doesn't work, use "Changing DNS server settings on a Debian server". The latter has you edit the /etc/resolv.conf, which I think is easiest. Just use "gksudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf" instead of "sudo vi /etc/resolv.conf" (unless you know your way around vi :wink:).
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Thanks, Garvan and Vincent!

Garvan,
I had put in the Google DNS but it showed up as the "ternary" server. I wanted it up there as the primary one because, if I got it right, only if the primary server is unavailable will the ones lower down be used.

Vincent, thanks for the link. I had looked at my /etc/resolv.conf but it was blank. So I have no idea or template to help me edit the file. (I had used vi and emacs ~15 years ago to a very limited extent and gedit is more than a welcome change!)

I also saw that the Google instructions mentioned editing router settings. One of my internet connections, the one in the screenshot, is via an ADSL 2+ Router but I've never fiddled with it after the Man set it up years ago. So it may be that I must edit the router settings rather than try to change things in Network Manager at least for this particular connection?
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

aes2011 wrote: Garvan,
I had put in the Google DNS but it showed up as the "ternary" server. I wanted it up there as the primary one because, if I got it right, only if the primary server is unavailable will the ones lower down be used.
Try this:

8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 218.248.255.212, 218.248.255.211

Then disable networking and re-enable to have the change take effect. I just tried it and it worked.

Garvan

PS.
I don't know how the network manager settings interact with the settings on a router, where I also for DNS servers set. Maybe somebody else can answer this.
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Garvan wrote: Try this:
8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 218.248.255.212, 218.248.255.211
Then disable networking and re-enable to have the change take effect. I just tried it and it worked.
Garvan
PS.
I don't know how the network manager settings interact with the settings on a router, where I also for DNS servers set. Maybe somebody else can answer this.
Hi Garvan, thanks for trying. I set up a new connection with the order given above, but 8.8.8.8 is still in last place. My guess is that the earlier positions are locked into the router. And I don't want to try right now because my other non-router (cable internet) connection is down. I'll try again when I have a back-up in case something goes wrong.

Return to “Beginner Questions”