How to edit menu preferences

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to edit menu preferences

Postby ZoundZ on Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:00 pm

First, since this is my first, post, I'd like to say hello! :)

Well, I've been able to figure out some of the things I want to do using the configuration editor, but there's a few things I haven't.

1. For the skybox, I can't get the gradient to change colors, or an image to appear instead. I searched around here a little, and found that the image should be a PNG, but that didn't seem to change anything.

2. I know you can change the taskbar color(forgive my WIndows lingo, I've a noob to Linux), but how do you change the color of the selected item? For example, if you have a black taskbar, and you're using Firefox currently, because it is the selected item, it will appear white. Also, can you change the text color on the taskbar?

3. WHen I receive an IM, if I'm not on that window, the only way I can tell is by looking and seeing a faint blue instead of pure white. CAn this color be changed? I often don't notice the color difference.

Thanks ahead for any help I receive. :)
ZoundZ
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to edit menu preferences

Postby JohnH on Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:13 am

Welcome to Mint and Linux,

Linux allows you to tinker with your operating system in the way people fiddled, tuned and dressed up cars years ago (probably still do in many places).

I don't know what kind of set up you are running, e.g. beryl, compiz with a high powered graphics card???

I can't answer you questions in a simple way, but I'm sure some more experienced hackers know the answer.

What I do know is that if you are running Beryl and have Emerald as your theme manager, you can alter just about anything you want. It has a wide variety of options and themes that can be altered.

Best of luck with it,

John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to edit menu preferences

Postby seba on Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:19 am

Hi Zoundz,

This older post here on Mint Forum pretty much explains how to change taskbar colors, color settings etc, though not everything you asked for. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7939

Cheers,
Seba
Maya Mate x32 on a PentiumM 1,7 GHz.
seba
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions