very new - Share Files with XP

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

very new - Share Files with XP

Postby zott on Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:25 pm

This is my first step into LINUX territory and after a bit of looking and 'playing' I found Linux Mint and it seems to suit what I am looking for. Setup seemed to go ok and have everything I need except I dont seem to be able to access my files from an XP Laptop. I can access the files on the XP Laptop from Linux Mint ok but dont seem to be able to get it to work the other way despite a late night and early morning. Any clues on where I might start? Have desktop hard wired to modem/router and laptop working off wireless using same modem/router.

Regards
Greg
zott
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: very new - Share Files with XP

Postby atlef on Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:47 pm

Either set up a separate partition and make it fat32, or download Ext2 IFS driver and install in windows.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Postby zott on Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:15 pm

Thank you. This didnt resolve my problem initially, however after another late night and a lot of experimenting around Samba I got it to work. Still not quite sure what exactly I did, but it was late and it worked so I went to bed. Thanks for your assistance
zott
Level 1
Level 1

Postby atlef on Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:03 am

I'm sorry, I really did not read your post thoroughly enough I see. Should have gone to bed a little earlier. :oops:
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mbaker824 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:22 pm

zott wrote:Thank you. This didnt resolve my problem initially, however after another late night and a lot of experimenting around Samba I got it to work. Still not quite sure what exactly I did, but it was late and it worked so I went to bed. Thanks for your assistance

The root of your problem, I believe, lies in the fact that a default Mint install (as in most distros) includes the smbclient, but not the samba server. That explains why you were able to connect to shares on your XP machine from Mint, but not the other way around. If you had never worked with the samba server before, my hat is off to you for getting it to work; it can be a bit confusing the first time.

-- Mark
mbaker824
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions