can linux mint run on 192 mb of ram?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

can linux mint run on 192 mb of ram?

Postby kindmint on Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:28 pm

um,I need help.

can linux mint run on 192 mb of ram because,after i install it I want to be able to install XFCE.

Also,could I also install the linux mint Daryna CE edition beta,can it be stable enough to work on it untill the final comes out?

please help.
THANK YOU.
kindmint
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: can linux mint run on 192 mb of ram?

Postby Husse on Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:10 pm

Linux can run on much less :)
However all Mint versions, including xfce is rather "graphics heavy" compared to some distributions
If you use the supergrub disk to make a swap partition before you start the xfce live CD I think you may be able to get it running.
Normally I think xfce should be able to run on 192 MB, but this is a beta with some unsolved issues with memory leaks (which will be solved in time)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: can linux mint run on 192 mb of ram?

Postby ricky on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:28 am

i'm not too sure about mint, but it's based on ubuntu and that won't run on anything less than 256 mb of ram without SEVERE delay. why don't you post your specs and then we can suggest some distros?

i am using vector linux on a old p3. you could use such things as damn small linux, puppy linux, tinyme, PCfluxboxOS, if you want to look for yourself go to http://www.distrowatch.org and take a look.

EDIT: i didn't see all the other responces. sorry to rehash.
ricky
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions