Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby paulstone on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:23 am

I was looking in synaptic and found a lot of upgrade-able apps, so I upgraded them. It ruined the installation.

It went very slow and some apps wouldnt start.

That's not meant as a criticism really because the Mint update manager wasn't recommending that I update them.

But why would updating them cause such problems?

I have now wiped Mint but before I install it again, I would like to know why what I did caused problems.
paulstone
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby Husse on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:45 am

So you "looked in Synaptic" and updated/graded even programs mintUpdate classifies as a 4 or 5?
There is a reason for this, don't you think? You just found out why....
Among the updates mintUpdate does not recommend are updates to the kernel that may cause problems...
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19710
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby paulstone on Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:04 am

They weren't classified as anything in synaptic, but I take your point.

I am new to ALL Linux, I saw stuff in synaptic that was update-able, so I updated.

Seems like this could happen to anyone new. No need to patronise me.
paulstone
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby Integrity on Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:24 am

Husse wrote:Among the updates mintUpdate does not recommend are updates to the kernel that may cause problems...


Husse is correct, when updating just use Mint Updater from the desktop and ignore Synaptic. Mint relies on/adds code to the kernel which is different than Ubuntu's Kernel and upgrading will render your system useless.

Sometimes new isn't always improved.

In the future you can roll back the kernel rather than reinstall. Also if you haven't already done so during install create 3 partitions /, swap and home. When you reinstall you will still have all of your documents, e-mails and stuff.
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford
Integrity
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby paulstone on Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:35 am

Ignoring synaptic is something people really should be aware of, in retrospect it is obvious that I should have, but at the time...I was just used to using synaptic in Ubuntu. Used to, as in 3 weeks of any Linux experience at all.

So, what about installing new apps? Could that cause problems too?

Thanks for the tip on the 3 partitions, I havent been doing that.
paulstone
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby Husse on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:48 am

Installing new apps would not cause problems normally, but as you know (now :)) just about anything can happen with a computer...
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19710
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby mumbo719 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:19 pm

paulstone wrote:Ignoring synaptic is something people really should be aware of, in retrospect it is obvious that I should have, but at the time...I was just used to using synaptic in Ubuntu. Used to, as in 3 weeks of any Linux experience at all.

So, what about installing new apps? Could that cause problems too?

Thanks for the tip on the 3 partitions, I havent been doing that.


When i was a new Linux user I trashed my system many times. It is all part of the learning curve. Sometimes learning what not to do is more important than learning what to do.

Using Synaptic to install new programs will not trash your system.

Enjoy!
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford
User avatar
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby paulstone on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:35 am

Yep, I have re-installed various distros a few times, lol.

I now have a partition for trying out distros and I am going to try Mint out again soon. For the moment I feel comfortable with Ubuntu, prolly because that is the one I began with.

I DO like Mint tho. :D I would recommend it to a Linux newb...with the warning to use Mintupdate update only for updates and NOT synaptic. :shock:
paulstone
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:20 am

And warn not to do a dist-upgrade - you get a mess far worse than you had...
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19710
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby desertViking on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:23 pm

paulstone wrote:
Using Synaptic to install new programs will not trash your system.

Once installed with Synaptic, will mintUpdate recognize updates to the new software?
Kind rgds,
dViking
desertViking
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:48 pm

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby McLovin on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:14 pm

Integrity wrote:In the future you can roll back the kernel rather than reinstall. Also if you haven't already done so during install create 3 partitions /, swap and home. When you reinstall you will still have all of your documents, e-mails and stuff.

I would like to point out that as you are "new to all Linux" when you make these partitions, keep in mind that the way they should look in the partition editor is as follows
swap (logical)
/ (Primary(the root partition))
/home (Primary(the home partition))
the reason I posted this is because when I first started with Linux, I did not realize that you had to have the "/" before "home" to make it work, so I hosed many an install, and hosed just as many just doing newbie things like what you did, it happens and we have all done it, so don't feel like anyone is patronizing you, we are just pointing out that those warning levels are there for a reason, (I understand that they are not in Synaptic, and that you did not know to only use the Mint Update, but now you know, and knowing is half the battle. "G.I. JOE") they tell you how dangerous some files can be, and tell you not to install them unless you really know what you are doing.
User avatar
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby iamclueless on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:20 pm

McLovin wrote:
Integrity wrote:In the future you can roll back the kernel rather than reinstall. Also if you haven't already done so during install create 3 partitions /, swap and home. When you reinstall you will still have all of your documents, e-mails and stuff.

I would like to point out that as you are "new to all Linux" when you make these partitions, keep in mind that the way they should look in the partition editor is as follows
swap (logical)
/ (Primary(the root partition))
/home (Primary(the home partition))
the reason I posted this is because when I first started with Linux, I did not realize that you had to have the "/" before "home" to make it work, so I hosed many an install, and hosed just as many just doing newbie things like what you did, it happens and we have all done it, so don't feel like anyone is patronizing you, we are just pointing out that those warning levels are there for a reason, (I understand that they are not in Synaptic, and that you did not know to only use the Mint Update, but now you know, and knowing is half the battle. "G.I. JOE") they tell you how dangerous some files can be, and tell you not to install them unless you really know what you are doing.


just a quick question

why does ubuntu/mint/xubuntu... i imagine lots of distro create an extended partition and then put the swap partition in it??? so that you end up with 3 partitions after doing an install that uses the whole hard drive.

and out of curiousity... if i create a /home partition how well does it transfer to a different distribution? say going to mint from xubuntu etc.

thanks
User avatar
iamclueless
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:56 am

Re: Update problem, updated 'upgradable apps' in synaptic-eek!

Postby McLovin on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:03 pm

that is the reason for making a seperate home partition, so you can keep all your files and basic settings. there are some folders in there that you would have to move/backup if you were to change distros, or upgrade to a newer version, but don't worry about that until it happens, when it does just post and people will help through that as well.
User avatar
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: expat_tony, JWK1 and 29 guests