HDMI Video Output not working, but works on Windows

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
c_bomb

HDMI Video Output not working, but works on Windows

Post by c_bomb »

Hi all, I'm new to this Forum and New to Mint, I've been using Ubuntu for quite some time, but decided that Mint is for me.

well I have this problem, I use my LG Tv to view dvd and what not through my laptop's HDMI output, but the problem is.

IT DOESN'T WORK ON LINUX!

I've done every single tutorial that I can possibly find and nothing works, after installing nvidia-settings, it detects my tv model and everything, but it doesn't send any signal!

When I activate the Tv, it resizes my laptop resolution and makes it thinks it's the tv!!. :?

The HDMI works PERFECTLY on windows, but Linux, you are letting me down....
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? It cant be my pc, because it works on Windows.
So either Linux cant do the job?

Thanks in advanced.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: HDMI Video Output not working, but works on Windows

Post by AlbertP »

Linux is not the problem. It's the bad quality of the nvidia official graphics driver for Linux.

Please tell which nvidia card you are using. You can run this command from Terminal to see it:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Please uninstall the driver and try again - using the 'Monitors' program in the menu (nvidia-settings only works when you are using the official driver). If you want to get your 3D support or desktop effects back, you can install the experimental driver from the Additional Drivers.

Note that the official driver is at the moment the only way to get HDMI sound working.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
c_bomb

Post by c_bomb »

Hi Albert,

I'll give this a try tonight, I'm currently at work.

Cheers.
innersleeve

Post by innersleeve »

Same issue here, on Mint 15
$ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Richland [Radeon HD 8610G] bus-ID: 00:01.0
X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
The computer monitor freezes, and the TV monitor is just thin lines.
Any ideas
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ innersleeve, please open a new topic instead of replying to somebody else's topic.
Please install the AMD graphics driver from Driver Manager and if you have any more questions, please do not reply here. Instead, please create a new topic, for example in the Hardware Support > Graphics category at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=59.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Beginner Questions”