disappearing system tray icons in linux mint 11

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pedal.pusher

disappearing system tray icons in linux mint 11

Post by pedal.pusher »

a few days ago everything on my system tray disappeared and my system tray became useless except for the menu button. . .and sticky notes (-_-;)

there was a notification that came up when the desktop first started up that said there was some kind of error and asked me to delete or not delete (i think), the same error message had been coming up for a while and I always chose the non-delete option but i wasn't paying attention and chose the delete option this time (i suspect this is related to the above mentioned problem).

Previously on my system tray was: network manager, time+date (which has been restored successfully), update manager (also back), language/keyboard input options (i need japanese and spanish to be functioning and japanese requires the anthy input language bar which is nowhere to be found :( ), power manager. . .
It seems that all of these are selected in my start-up applications but they are not actually appearing. . .?

Any windows that I open also disappear into the abyss if I minimize them due to the problem (i have also managed to fix this with the windows list option from the panel additions).

. . .Help please? :( :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: disappearing system tray icons in linux mint 11

Post by xenopeek »

Hi, when you get the "delete or don't delete" question, always choose "don't delete". This is a know bug for GNOME version of LM11. After you close the message, open a terminal or press Alt+F2 and run:

Code: Select all

killall gnome-panel
That will reload the panel.

To reset your panel to the default from after installation, run:

gconftool –-recursive-unset /apps/panel
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
killall gnome-panel
pedal.pusher

Post by pedal.pusher »

the panel itself didn't disappear. . .just the icons and function (function has since been restored but icons have not).
i know that i shouldn't have picked the "delete" option, but what's done is done. . .unfortunately and the error message hasn't showed up since.
the code that you sent didn't fix the problem. i still don't have power, languages or network on my tray and still don't know how to restore them.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've assumed you are on Linux Mint 11 GNOME. Are you perhaps on LXDE?

If on GNIME, I think I missed the a command you should run first, try it with following:

gconftool-2 –-shutdown
gconftool –-recursive-unset /apps/panel
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
killall gnome-panel
This should at least restore network icon and power (if on laptop). I'm not sure about languages, you may have to add that yourself.
pedal.pusher

Post by pedal.pusher »

ya i am running gnome. the code that you gave didn't seem to do anything. . . :?
It restarted the system tray that I modified (put the time and system updates) on, but didn't restore anything else.
. . .??
pedal.pusher

Post by pedal.pusher »

is it possible my system tray is off-screen? judging by some strange things (ie. start-up applications in order, code not working, documents and info boxes opening to a size that continues past the bottom of my screen. . .?) i feel that this might be the case. how could i fix it in that case?
conslie

Post by conslie »

If I thought part of mine was offspring, I would right-click on a blank area, choose properties/orientation, and move it to top or one side, repeat and move back to bottom.

No idea if that will help, but it seems unlikely to more that a redraw. If that somehow happens to create some problem, try the terminal commands above again.
pedal.pusher

Post by pedal.pusher »

hmmm. . .still haven't been able to fix this problem. any other suggestions?
rattkjelke
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rattkjelke »

I think I have a similar problem. Parts of the panel disappear or turn transparent. I don't think I have had any icons disappear. It is usually rectangular sections in the middle of the panel. I can temporarily fix it using 'killall gnome-panel', restarting the window manger with Compiz Fuzion Icon or ctrl-alt-backspace and log in again but it always happens again. I have not found a solution.
maxmm5

Post by maxmm5 »

Hi pedal.pusher, To get back the power and network on your system tray; right click anywhere the panel and select Add to Panel..., for the language keyboard option, please do the following from Control Center under Hardware section, hit Keyboard then from Keyboard Preference window go to Layouts and make sure there are 2 languages on the window ( japannese and spanish), then hit Options button below, from Keyboard Layout Options select "Key(s) to change layout" and select the two key's combination you like and your done . maxmm5

Return to “Beginner Questions”