I lost my Pidgin.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

I lost my Pidgin.

Postby KB3NRY on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:17 am

I'm pretty sure it didn't fly away. :D

Anyway, Pidgin used to work fine for me. Now when I click on Pidgin I get "Starting Pidgin Intern..." in the bottom bar. But it goes away shortly and Pidgin never starts. I didn't change anything in Pidgin. All I have done since it worked last was install Wine and attempt to install Google Talk. Google Talk does not work properly anyway (on a side note, would someone tell me how to uninstall this.) Anyway, I'm not sure what might have happened to Pidgin. I don't know if it is related to that change or not, but that is all I can think of that I've change. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.
KB3NRY
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I lost my Pidgin.

Postby mumbo719 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Try uninstalling pidgin - Open terminal

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get remove pidgin

Enter PW

Reinstall Pidgin

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install pidgin

see if the terminal gives you any errors.
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby belovedmonster on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:34 am

I've never used google talk so forgive my ignorance... but why did you install Google talk when Pidgin supports it fully since its just jabber?
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby KB3NRY on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:51 pm

I uninstalled Pidgin and reinstalled it. Everything seemed to go smoothly in that, but I seem to have the same problem. I even uninstalled google talk, it still didn't work, so I uninstalled and reinstalled Pidgin again after that and still have the same problem. Any ideas?

Also what did you mean by "Enter PW?" If I am supposed to type that into the terminal I'm not sure when, how, or where...I just get "bad command" when I type that.

As for why I tried to install Google Talk when Pidgin supports it...I was just trying out Wine and that was a program I had to try it with. Though it didn't work. Also, I didn't know Pidgin supported it. I'm new to all of this and am just trying to play around and learn.
KB3NRY
Level 1
Level 1

Postby belovedmonster on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:19 pm

Pidgin supports everything and anything. :twisted:
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby KB3NRY on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:23 pm

belovedmonster wrote:Pidgin supports everything and anything. :twisted:

haha, sounds great!

Well, I'm an idiots. lol I have Pidgin and it works fine. I had clicked on the icon in the bottom right and it made my contacts list go away, but it was still running. I realized when I had a friend IM me. lol Then I realized what I did. Thank you all for your help and time and I'm sorry for wasting it.
KB3NRY
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions