I lost my Pidgin.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I lost my Pidgin.

Postby KB3NRY on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:17 am

I'm pretty sure it didn't fly away. :D

Anyway, Pidgin used to work fine for me. Now when I click on Pidgin I get "Starting Pidgin Intern..." in the bottom bar. But it goes away shortly and Pidgin never starts. I didn't change anything in Pidgin. All I have done since it worked last was install Wine and attempt to install Google Talk. Google Talk does not work properly anyway (on a side note, would someone tell me how to uninstall this.) Anyway, I'm not sure what might have happened to Pidgin. I don't know if it is related to that change or not, but that is all I can think of that I've change. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.
KB3NRY
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I lost my Pidgin.

Postby mumbo719 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Try uninstalling pidgin - Open terminal

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get remove pidgin

Enter PW

Reinstall Pidgin

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install pidgin

see if the terminal gives you any errors.
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby belovedmonster on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:34 am

I've never used google talk so forgive my ignorance... but why did you install Google talk when Pidgin supports it fully since its just jabber?
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby KB3NRY on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:51 pm

I uninstalled Pidgin and reinstalled it. Everything seemed to go smoothly in that, but I seem to have the same problem. I even uninstalled google talk, it still didn't work, so I uninstalled and reinstalled Pidgin again after that and still have the same problem. Any ideas?

Also what did you mean by "Enter PW?" If I am supposed to type that into the terminal I'm not sure when, how, or where...I just get "bad command" when I type that.

As for why I tried to install Google Talk when Pidgin supports it...I was just trying out Wine and that was a program I had to try it with. Though it didn't work. Also, I didn't know Pidgin supported it. I'm new to all of this and am just trying to play around and learn.
KB3NRY
Level 1
Level 1

Postby belovedmonster on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:19 pm

Pidgin supports everything and anything. :twisted:
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby KB3NRY on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:23 pm

belovedmonster wrote:Pidgin supports everything and anything. :twisted:

haha, sounds great!

Well, I'm an idiots. lol I have Pidgin and it works fine. I had clicked on the icon in the bottom right and it made my contacts list go away, but it was still running. I realized when I had a friend IM me. lol Then I realized what I did. Thank you all for your help and time and I'm sorry for wasting it.
KB3NRY
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions