Synaptic Package Manager Issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Synaptic Package Manager Issue

Postby ZoundZ on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:13 am

Hello, I was following this guide: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... e+metacity trying to make it so I can run GNOME and Enlightenment in the same session, but it didn't work. I haven't used Synaptic in the last few days, but last time I tried it, it worked fine. After I tried following that guide, I was getting my desktop, with nothing but my desktop icons as options of what I can do. So, I switched to a KDE session(I installed it early today to try it out, since I barley ever used KDE), and put my default WM to Metacity again. Now GNOME works just like before, but I get this message when trying to use Synaptic:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Can anyone guide me on what to do? :D

P.S. If anyone has an idea why my attempt at that tutorial failed, that be nice to know too. ;)'

Thanks guys!
ZoundZ
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Synaptic Package Manager Issue

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:03 am

What to do?
Well, it's spelled out to you - right?
And this is a consequence of your experiment.
Of course all such actions needs sudo.
The guide was from 2005 and you may easily have run into a "version conflict"
It's not a good idea to run apps for one version of Ubuntu and so Mint on another - it may be possible but it's not recommended
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby mumbo719 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:24 am

Open a terminal and paste "dpkg --configure -a"
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:30 pm

not quite
As I wrote
Of course all such actions needs sudo.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby deadguy on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:48 pm

here it is spelled out:

Code: Select all
sudo dpkg --configure -a
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ZoundZ on Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:28 pm

Thanks. :) I tried that, but I didn't have the sudo bit.

I guess I won't be able to mix Enlightenment with GNOME. :( Oh well, it probably wouldn't have turned out the way I wanted it to anyways.
ZoundZ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:46 pm

You could check out http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=geubuntu

Geubuntu is a mixture of E17 and Gnome. There will be a LinuxMint E17 Community Edition pretty soon. E17 is interesting.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby ZoundZ on Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:54 pm

exploder wrote:You could check out http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=geubuntu

Geubuntu is a mixture of E17 and Gnome. There will be a LinuxMint E17 Community Edition pretty soon. E17 is interesting.

Haha, yeah I know. I tried it out. I loved it at first. Then little bugs started bothering me so I went hunting for other distros. Finally landed on Mint. :) I've been watching the Mint E17 thread, but I got impatient and wanted to see if I could find a way to do it myself. :P
ZoundZ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:10 am

My experience is limited as far as E17 goes, but I think Debian's Elive E17 DE could be the best standard out there. They ask for a donation to download the live cd, but you can get an invitation as well - it's not that difficult see the website. And since they are currently in preparation for the next release (testing an alpha), it may be easier to get the invite.

I have Elive running on one of my triple boot machines to get practice and it's, as I said, a standard to compare other E17 DEs to (when I have time which is seldom). Note: I recently installed WoW on this DE (using Wine of course) and it was easy. :)
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby molom on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:27 am

newW2 wrote:My experience is limited as far as E17 goes, but I think Debian's Elive E17 DE could be the best standard out there. They ask for a donation to download the live cd, but you can get an invitation as well - it's not that difficult see the website. And since they are currently in preparation for the next release (testing an alpha), it may be easier to get the invite.

I have Elive running on one of my triple boot machines to get practice and it's, as I said, a standard to compare other E17 DEs to (when I have time which is seldom). Note: I recently installed WoW on this DE (using Wine of course) and it was easy. :)

Elive is one of the worst e17 distros out there. There is no app to change the favourites menu, no autologin and its main control panel/control centre partially doesn't work and its unstable. Probably the next release will be a lot more stable than its so called 'Gem'. But for now, all it has is looks. But I can't blame the developer team, it only consists of one person and he is based it on debian, which means that he has made his one control centre.
I would rate all e17 distros like this Lowest to Hightest:
Elive
gOS
Geubuntu
OZOS
_______ ( Mint e17 is aiming here :D )
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby newW2 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:44 pm

:shock: Well I did say: "My experience is limited". :lol:
Btw, this thread is headed out of scope ... based on the subject item.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby molom on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:18 pm

newW2 wrote::shock: Well I did say: "My experience is limited". :lol:
Btw, this thread is headed out of scope ... based on the subject item.

Don't worry about it. I also found some distros amazing and then found they were pathetic, like Lindows/Linspire, Mandriva and Suse (Then again, its just my opinion).

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions