Hello! Just jumped on the mint ship - my experience

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Hello! Just jumped on the mint ship - my experience

Postby alim0nkey on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:04 pm

I tinkered with various distros a couple of years ago, but after a total nightmare with ndiswrapper and wireless network cards, I gave it up as a bad job!

Decided to give it another go as my laptop (a Hewlett Packard nx9420) came with Vista and I've been finding it painfully slow. I had a look at Distrowatch and decided that Ubuntu/Mint looked pretty cool and plumped for Mint as I liked the name! I already had Vista installed, so I used Acronis Disk Director to repartition the hard drive to create a new partition for my Linux install, and then just bunged in the live CD and installed into the new partition. The Mint boot manager recognises the Vista install and I can still boot, pretty painless!

No major questions just yet - after reading through these forums and googling (a lot :D ). Here are some of the things I struggled with:

ATI Mobility X1600 graphics card - after spending ages trying to config via terminal, I read up on the Envy package and went down that route instead. Couldn't sort out conflicts with old (failed) install attempts so I did a clean install of mint, enabled the restricted driver, then installed Envy and the ATI drivers. On reboot I had the white screen of death, but thanks to this post http://albertomilone.com/wordpress/?p=139 I found that all I needed was:

sudo depmod -ae

So I'm now using my monitor at it's native 1680x1050 resolution.

The next issue was DVD playback skipping - that was resolved by enabling DMA mode, and also redirecting video playback in software to X11.

Liking Mint so far - and I'm pleased to see that my wireless network card was detected even on the live CD and straight away my wireless lan was detected. Hurray to no more messing with ndiswrapper!

Have just installed Avant Window Manager too and enjoying the MAC stylie!

I'm sure I'll be back with questions when I start trying to share files and printers with the rest of my Windows network.......
alim0nkey
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hello! Just jumped on the mint ship - my experience

Postby exploder on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:20 pm

Nice to hear another success story! Welcome to the Mint forum!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby alim0nkey on Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:31 am

Wow that's really helpful, thank you! I'm going to have a go at setting up the LAN this afternoon. The MAC4Lin has gotta be done I think! I use a mixture of MAC and Windows desktops at work (I'm a Web developer) and far prefer the MAC. Simple economics has kept me from getting a MAC at home :D
alim0nkey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LE ANDREW on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:46 pm

hi i got a new laptop with vista on it very sloooow !! what i did was got a new hard drive put 160gig
within 1 hour mint was installed im using mint cassandra kde well impressed at the speed + every thing worked out of the box even the wireless card it is now my main operating system :D
and got my girlfriends brother on mint now on his laptop same version as me
keep up the good work mint team
now using daryna
LE ANDREW
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions