Sudden Thunderbird problem in Celena

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Sudden Thunderbird problem in Celena

Post by T J Tulley »

Happy New Year all!

Mine has started with Thunderbird repeatedly disappearing from the screen immediately after loading, before there is time to do anything with it. I have been using it since mid-October with no problems until now.

This happens whether I open it from an icon (Desktop configuration file) or from the Celena Start menu.

Should I do a re-install or an update? This is TB which came with Celena, and I have read in this forum that there are dangers with non-mint updates. That's why I am asking in this rather than the TB forum.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
Husse

Re: Sudden Thunderbird problem in Celena

Post by Husse »

Normally it's not dangerous to update a program, but if it's not made for you version (or neutral in this respect) you may have problems. What is really dangerous is to add the repositories for another version to your sources.list - it can, and maybe will, create a mess.
I think it's a TB problem
Try to start it from the command line and check any errors
This can at least in Windows be caused by a "nasty" mail
First try to reinstall it (from Synaptic) and make sure to protect your emails, would not be nice to loose them...
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks Husse: - Actually the problem cleared when I re-started. I suppose I should have tried that sooner.

I am reluctant to re-start because it was such a time-consuming process in Windows - Celena starts in less than 2 minutes so i must get used to doing it more readily.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
Husse

Post by Husse »

And when you finally see the desktop and everything in the panel (taskbar) you are done - in Windows it goes on for a few minutes after that - at least for me and others I've discussed this with

Return to “Beginner Questions”