Wireless isn't working. No clue.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Wireless isn't working. No clue.

Postby Syntaximus on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:49 pm

lspci returns this: Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

Apparently I don't have the driver or firmware(what's the difference?) for this to function. Package(what is a package?) Manager did nothing after I installed several packages which claimed to have the necessary fixes. I've tried a few step-by-step instructions(terminal stuff) from numerous boards like this one but they also have no effect. When I click the networking icon it doesn't even list a wireless option. I had the same problem on both Ubuntu and Blag.
Syntaximus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wireless isn't working. No clue.

Postby AlbertP on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:56 pm

You have to install the firmware for the b43legacy driver, to get this card working. Broadcom does not allow Linux distributions to have that firmware pre-installed. So you have to connect to internet using an ethernet cable, and then install firmware-b43legacy-installer from Package Manager.

Note that you need b43 instead of b43legacy for 'rev 03' versions of 4306/4309. This is rev 02 so should work fine with b43legacy.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Syntaximus on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Yeah I tried that once before. Here's the error I just got:

E: firmware-b43legacy-installer: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Syntaximus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlbertP on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:05 am

Please try installing b43-fwcutter.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Newbie Questions