Having troubles booting

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Having troubles booting

Postby Moldernado on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:40 pm

I just now installed Linux Mint on my S-ATA drive, with a 2048mb swap partition. I also have an IDE disk for storage.
Whenever I try to boot from the S-ATA I just get a message that I need to select a proper boot device or something like that.

I have no idea what to do, the S-ATA drive is specified for #1 booting in my BIOS
Moldernado
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Having troubles booting

Postby newW2 on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:06 am

Is Mint the only OS on this machine?
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Having troubles booting

Postby catweazle on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:55 am

Could you tell us the exact error message you get at boot (error 15 or error 22 ...) ?

You can restore the boot loader from the liveCD like this :

Once started, GRUB will show the command-line interface (see Command-line interface). First, set the GRUB's root device4 to the partition containing the boot directory, like this:

grub> root (hd0,0)

If you are not sure which partition actually holds this directory, use the command find (see find), like this:

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

This will search for the file name /boot/grub/stage1 and show the devices which contain the file.

Once you've set the root device correctly, run the command setup (see setup):

grub> setup (hd0)

This is a quote from the grub manual

Success
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions