Can daryna run on an amd board?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can daryna run on an amd board?

Postby leechy9 on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:59 am

ya, well i recently installed daryna and im running it on an i386 board. its great. i liked it so much that im buying a whole new tower just to run it on. i just wanted to know if it will run on an amd board and processor. my other question is if i need to wipe the hard drive and reinstall linux completely when i get the new board, or can i just plug in the hard drive and run it?
leechy9
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can daryna run on an amd board?

Postby McLovin on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:16 am

Mint will run on whatever board and processor you like, however I would recommend a clean install so that all your hardware will be recognized properly, did you make a seperate home partition, or did only make 1 partition?
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby leechy9 on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:29 am

uhh i had a clean hard drive, so i just had it do a new install on its own. but im sure its just the normal 2 partitions for linux
leechy9
Level 1
Level 1

Postby McLovin on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:30 am

If there are files that you want to save to save, back them up and do a fresh install to be sure you have no issues, as I stated before. When you do install this time around, make sure to set up a seperate home partition, this will make things much easier if you have to reinstall at some point for some reason, or you want to upgrade when Mint 5.0 comes out, just make sure that when you make your home partition you set-up your partition tables as follows
swap (logical) -usualy 1 gig is a good size for this so you have plenty room for if it's ever needed
/ (primary) -this is your root partition where all programs and main OS settings will be stored
/home (primary) -make sure that you put the "/" in front home so that it will be seen as the proper partition for your home directory
What I usualy do as a good rule of thumb, is split the space I am using for mint between the 2 patitions, this way there is enough room for apps that I want to install, and files and settings that I want to have available to me. I also use an external HDD for plain file storage, things like music and videos.
I hope this helps you in your venture into Mint, good luck and if you have any more questions just ask, we are very friendly and try to be as helpful as possible here.
Welcome to the Mint side.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby rfurman24 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:31 pm

For what it is worth I have swapped hard drives to completely new systems with linux(ubuntu) and not had any problems. To my knowledge the only concern would be the video card. If the video cards are too different you may have to reconfigure x with "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg".
rfurman24
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions