customizing my desktop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

customizing my desktop

Postby iamclueless on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:27 am

ok quick newbie questions

running Cassandra XFCE so much of what ive read in the forum dont apply when it comes to tweaking the look

someone clarify a few things for me

Beryl and Emerald are basically there to make things look pretty?????? how do you use the emerald themes that are previewed???

i got slow comp so probably stick with the xfce window manager

can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 3 managers? beryl compiz and xmfw4

i am assuming i can remove beryl emerald and envy safely since i probably wont ever need them... will this make any difference in performance?

Finally how do i edit the system entries in the menu?? i know in puppy i could open the actual file and provide a link to the file and the icon i want with it. how do i do this in mint?

thanks
iamclueless
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: customizing my desktop

Postby ZoundZ on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:10 am

For the beryl part, yeah you can remove it. It doesn't work if you don't have effects enabled, and if you have a slow computer(and a crappy video card) you probably shouldn't enable it. If you want a fast windows manager try Thunar or PCMan.
ZoundZ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ricky on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:07 pm

the last time i used xfce the start menu was under administration and the sessions ( i think)
ricky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lakehousetech on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:03 am

Probably a good idea to avoid the effects on an older computer....they can also goof up the operation of some games you might want to toy with.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby molom on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:09 am

If there is anyone that is interested in effects on Mint, try out the Linux Mint E17 edition, when it comes out.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby cutiger95 on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:23 am

Molom,

Do you know what day the E17 is suppose to hit the repositories? What will I need to do to install that desktop? Currently I am running the gnome platform but this old laptop has a hard time keeping up and sometimes freezes for a second or five.

Thanks
cutiger95
Level 1
Level 1

Postby molom on Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:55 am

cutiger95 wrote:Molom,

Do you know what day the E17 is suppose to hit the repositories? What will I need to do to install that desktop? Currently I am running the gnome platform but this old laptop has a hard time keeping up and sometimes freezes for a second or five.

Thanks

What do you exactly mean? You can install E17 using this link on any distro - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... hlight=e17
If you are talking about the Linux Mint E17 distro, that will be coming out January 2008.
If anybody has any questions or recommendations for the Linux Mint E17 distro use this blog - http://linuxminte17.wordpress.com/

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions