Crash course Info

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Crash course Info

Postby shaney on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:35 pm

I am totally new to Linux and thus far have liked what I have seen.

However, I would like to find basic information about how Linux is set up.
Right now when I am using the terminal, I don't understand what it is doing. A long time ago I learned how to navigate DOS and understand the file tree and a few other things. After I did some HTML work I was able to look at a web page and understand the language behind it.

It is this basic type of information that I am wanting to find.
I would also like to get a breakdown of common Abriviations that are used so that I am not lost reading through some of the forums.

Thanks in advance for your time and help in finding more information.

PS I am running Linux Mint, Daryna
shaney
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Crash course Info

Postby JohnH on Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:22 pm

Welcome to Mint Shaney,

Try this link for help with the terminal commands.

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/

Best ot luck with this. Unlike Windows, in Linux you get to lift the hood and get your hands dirty; you can "hot it up" anyway you like without being locked out by Redmond mothers. Google linux kernel, gnome, kde etc. This will add to your knowledge base.

Cheers
John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Postby stafio on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:14 am

Not surprisingly, linux.org is a good site with a great deal of information. You may want to look at the courses section. Don't be alarmed by the title, you don't actually have to sign up for anything. You can just browse through and read about whatever you want. There are some command line commands in the tips section.
stafio
Level 2
Level 2

Postby shaney on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanks guys. I will search these places when I get some free time online. I really appreciate it!
- - shaney
shaney
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions