Error on Boot.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Error on Boot.

Postby cutiger95 on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:43 am

Just installed Linux Mint on my laptop. Well at least I thought I did. When I tried rebooting after the fresh install I get the following

Boot Grub
Error 18

This is a fresh install and Linux Mint is the only thing on the harddrive. I am typing into this forum using the boot CD so it is clear that it will run on the system.

Also I formerly had Ubuntu 7.10 installed and bootable. When I installed Linux Mint I had it format the entire drive and take out the old ubuntu installation.

Any help would be greatly appreciateed. Something just isn't quite right and I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks
cutiger95
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Error on Boot.

Postby doinok623 on Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:09 am

i got error 15 when i switched from ubuntu. theres a bunch of stuff you have to do before you uninstall ubuntu to get grub off there. i think that whats happening is grub isnt all in one place and when you installed mint it wrote over only a portion of grub. reinstalling mint fixed mine. good luck.
doinok623
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Error on Boot.

Postby cutiger95 on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:07 am

Little googling, little tweaking and I found it.

Error18 is that your bios cannot boot the drive because it is too large?

The overall fix was quite simple.

Boot onto your Live CD go to the partitioner in the install and then split your drive or make a 10 GB partition for your boot. If your bios is the age of mine then you will be in luck on reboot.

Hope this helps, not technical but it fixed my system.
cutiger95
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions