Error on Boot.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cutiger95

Error on Boot.

Post by cutiger95 »

Just installed Linux Mint on my laptop. Well at least I thought I did. When I tried rebooting after the fresh install I get the following

Boot Grub
Error 18

This is a fresh install and Linux Mint is the only thing on the harddrive. I am typing into this forum using the boot CD so it is clear that it will run on the system.

Also I formerly had Ubuntu 7.10 installed and bootable. When I installed Linux Mint I had it format the entire drive and take out the old ubuntu installation.

Any help would be greatly appreciateed. Something just isn't quite right and I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cutiger95

Re: Error on Boot.

Post by cutiger95 »

Little googling, little tweaking and I found it.

Error18 is that your bios cannot boot the drive because it is too large?

The overall fix was quite simple.

Boot onto your Live CD go to the partitioner in the install and then split your drive or make a 10 GB partition for your boot. If your bios is the age of mine then you will be in luck on reboot.

Hope this helps, not technical but it fixed my system.

Return to “Beginner Questions”