Need little help installing some VLC and Listen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thyultimate

Need little help installing some VLC and Listen

Post by thyultimate »

I tried installing VLC player using mint install and i get this error

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
(^^what does that mean^^) :shock:

Also i tried installing listen and that gave me the problem
Checking Python version: 2.5
Checking for PyGTK >= 2.6: found
Checking for pyGTK-devel >= 2.6:
not found
Listen requires pyGTK-devel

how do i install pyGTK??? I tried sudo apt-get pyGTK (thats all i do when i wanna install something) and it says it doesnt know what pyGTK is..... :?

Can anyone please help me??? I am using linux for the first time so I am an ub3r n00b :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thyultimate

Re: Need little help installing some VLC and Listen

Post by thyultimate »

aaaaah, it asked me to do that and i ignored it!!!! :oops:
thanks a lot man now i got VLC up and running, but that listen thing is still a problem....
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

sudo apt-get install python-gtk2-dev

Should make much joy.

Or else it *should* get you to the next dependency. :wink:
thyultimate

Post by thyultimate »

Right.....now its asking for mutagen, i went to their site and tried to download when i ran into another problem.....
Not enough free space on "/"
now what??? can i resize, oh please tell me i can resize without reinstalling or re-formatting..........the only free space i have is in the home drive and the others are NTFS partitions......
(i tried sudo gparted but it shows all partitions as locked and i couldnt unmount a single one, besides gparted randomly seems to decide when it would like to exit)
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

Well, this one sounds like a project.
You should try live booting the Mint cd and seeing what options you have that way.
Normally all of your partitions aren't mounted under a live session and you can do more that way.

It sounds like you have a separate / and /home partition?

I've not had to deal with the issue you're having, sorry I'm not much help on it.
thyultimate

Post by thyultimate »

ok now i just woke up, and things are getting more interesting, my internet isnt working anymore from linux, i had to boot into windows to post this........any ideas why???? :(

(^^yea i think thats an idea, could see if smthing could work out there, its just that i updated and downloaded lot of stuff worth like 500mb and i dont want to do it all over again)

(edit)
ummm yea...i do have a seperate / and /home partition, does it help in anyway???

(if i used partion magic from windows to resize would that screw things up????)
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

thyultimate wrote:
(if i used partion magic from windows to resize would that screw things up????)[/i]
At this point you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. So it's worth trying Partition Magic, it *should* work.

You almost have nothing to loose since it's sounds like your /home partition is too small.
thyultimate

Post by thyultimate »

Ok finally solved my problems
a) booted with the live cd and used gparted to resize
b) grub posted an error 15 so re-installed the os
c) vlc worked fine after his suggestion
d) got listen with sudo apt-get install listen

thanks a lot guy, you guys are really helpful :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”