Wifi card that works right out of the box???

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Wifi card that works right out of the box???

Postby FizKid on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:39 pm

Well I'm new to the whole LinuxMint platform but I have been using it primarily for the past 6 months or so. I LOVE IT but I moved recently and had to switch over to Wifi and back to Windows because I can't get the Wifi working in Mint. It is a USB dongle TrendNet model# TEW229UB. Mint doesn't recognize that its even there. Now questions....

1. Can this dongle work? I read a lot of posts about USB dongles not supported in Linux...

if not then....

2. Does anyone know of a PCI wifi card or USB dongle that works right out of the box or with little tinkering?

random question...

3. Is Wifi any easier in Linspire?

Any help is appreciated. Again I'm a newbie to Linux but I'm decent with Windows and can follow instructions if someone is willing to help.

THANKS
FizKid
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wifi card that works right out of the box???

Postby MagnusB on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:12 pm

1. It does not seem like it is supported, didn't do my Google thoroughly though...
2. Several: Intel PCI cards, Madwifi supported devices and these (not all out of the box though).
3. Not really, Freespire ("free linspire") is based of Ubuntu, so is Mint. I really don't think *spire is all that impressive, the most beneficial part is that they offer out of the box support for most multimeda, though Mint does that too...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions