file deleted but space still missing from hard drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

file deleted but space still missing from hard drive

Postby Ebere on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:54 pm

If I highlight a file, right click it, then choose "delete", the file deletes just fine. And the space on the hard drive, is freed up.

But if I highlight a file, then press the delete button on the keyboard, the file goes missing, but the space is not freed up.

As an experiment, I chose a partition with 7.1 gigs available.

Copied a large file to it. That left 6.9 gigs available.

I then highlighted, right clicked and chose delete. The file was gone and available space was back to 7.1 gigs.

I copied the same large file back to that partition. Again, only 6.9 gigs available space.

I highlighted the file, and then hit the delete key, and the file disappeared. However, even after reloading... And even after rebooting, The available disk space remained at 6.9 gigs.

Does anyone have any idea how I get that space back again ?

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: file deleted but space still missing from hard drive

Postby xenopeek on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Empty the trash? The file is probably there and still taking up disk space.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Ebere on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:11 pm

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:Empty the trash? The file is probably there and still taking up disk space.

First thought that occurred to me, actually.

However, for the life of me I can't find the 'trash', let alone how would I empty it ?

LOL

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Postby xenopeek on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Which Linux Mint version / edition are you using?

On GNOME, just open a file browser (aka Nautilus; for example open your home folder), in the sidebar on the left is Trash. Click it to see what is in it, right-click it to empty.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Ebere on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:27 pm

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:Which Linux Mint version / edition are you using?

On GNOME, just open a file browser (aka Nautilus; for example open your home folder), in the sidebar on the left is Trash. Click it to see what is in it, right-click it to empty.

Mint 10.

Ok, thank you.

Did that. (nautilus)

When I click to open it, it says folder contents cannot be displayed.

And "Empty" as an option is greyed out.

Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Ebere on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm thinking that using the delete button, instead of going through the steps to use the delete 'command', has screwed something up.

Even nautilus cannot see the contents of the trash folder.

Anyone have any guesses on how to fix this ?

Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Postby StanTheMan on Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:33 pm

I have no explanation for this , but . . .
With Gnome 2.xxx , if you right-click on the Panel bar and Add an icon form" Trash " , then click on that button will bring up a file manager window headed "Trash" and listing anjy items in Trash. You can delete the files there.
But if you up-level in that window, you get your User directory in Nautilus, and 'show hidden files' will NOT show the Trash directory.
StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Ebere on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:27 pm

StanTheMan wrote:I have no explanation for this , but . . .
With Gnome 2.xxx , if you right-click on the Panel bar and Add an icon form" Trash " , then click on that button will bring up a file manager window headed "Trash" and listing anjy items in Trash. You can delete the files there.
But if you up-level in that window, you get your User directory in Nautilus, and 'show hidden files' will NOT show the Trash directory.

That did it !!!

Thank you very much !!

And now there is also a "trash" when I view the files the regular way. There was no "trash" before, except in Nautilus.

I wonder why that is ? And trash was easily emptied this way. I gained 23 gigs back !!

I'll remember this in the future, and put a trash icon on the panel right away when I switch to mint 11.

Thanks again.

:D :D :D

Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions