Newbie says thank you for Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Newbie says thank you for Mint

Postby pete284 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:29 pm

I have been a windoze user for very many years since Windows 3.11 and have never ventured into Linux. I've had my own website for 10 years which these days is a long time. 12 months ago I purchased my last computer which came with XP on it. My mates have got Vista but I don't like the look of it. I've always had a passing curiosity in Linux but I was baffled by all the distros.

For several years now I have been using nothing but freeware on my machine, all that is except the OS. I dumped IE (for Netscape then Firefox) and MS Office (for Open Office) many years ago and have been an advocate of open source software.

The only thing lacking my life was a open source OS. I've tried numerous live CDs, the only one used regularly was Puppy Linux which was quick and easy to use.

6 months ago I installed wubi for Ubuntu and really enjoyed the dual booting machine until one day a virus caught me unawares in XP and I lost all my PC. I rebuilt it from scratch again but never got around to re-installing Ubuntu on it.

This week I came across Linux Mint and was blown away by the live CD. I then discovered Shane Joe Lazar's Blog and how to dual boot XP with Mint. I bit the bullet.

I backed up important docs from XP and fired up Mint Live CD. I found Shanes blog was slightly outdated as I had to repartition my hard drive with Gparted before the installation process and there are now 7 parts to installation not 6. I also learnt that my machine already has 3 primary partitions on it thanks to Acer so I had to create an extended partition. But an hour later I was dual booting in to Mint.

The only glitch I've had so far was I couldn't connect to the repositories, although firefox connected to the web. However, I found an answer on the wiki that involved editing the resolv.conf and dhclient.conf. When this was done everything worked fine.

I know next to nothing about Linux but am enjoying learning all from scratch. I'm not losing XP yet. I will run the 2 systems side by side until I can do everything in Mint that I presently can in XP.

Thank you guys for all your work and bringing the pleasure back to me in computing!
pete284
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie says thank you for Mint

Postby molom on Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:53 pm

pete284 wrote:I have been a windoze user for very many years since Windows 3.11 and have never ventured into Linux. I've had my own website for 10 years which these days is a long time. 12 months ago I purchased my last computer which came with XP on it. My mates have got Vista but I don't like the look of it. I've always had a passing curiosity in Linux but I was baffled by all the distros.

For several years now I have been using nothing but freeware on my machine, all that is except the OS. I dumped IE (for Netscape then Firefox) and MS Office (for Open Office) many years ago and have been an advocate of open source software.

The only thing lacking my life was a open source OS. I've tried numerous live CDs, the only one used regularly was Puppy Linux which was quick and easy to use.

6 months ago I installed wubi for Ubuntu and really enjoyed the dual booting machine until one day a virus caught me unawares in XP and I lost all my PC. I rebuilt it from scratch again but never got around to re-installing Ubuntu on it.

This week I came across Linux Mint and was blown away by the live CD. I then discovered Shane Joe Lazar's Blog and how to dual boot XP with Mint. I bit the bullet.

I backed up important docs from XP and fired up Mint Live CD. I found Shanes blog was slightly outdated as I had to repartition my hard drive with Gparted before the installation process and there are now 7 parts to installation not 6. I also learnt that my machine already has 3 primary partitions on it thanks to Acer so I had to create an extended partition. But an hour later I was dual booting in to Mint.

The only glitch I've had so far was I couldn't connect to the repositories, although firefox connected to the web. However, I found an answer on the wiki that involved editing the resolv.conf and dhclient.conf. When this was done everything worked fine.

I know next to nothing about Linux but am enjoying learning all from scratch. I'm not losing XP yet. I will run the 2 systems side by side until I can do everything in Mint that I presently can in XP.

Thank you guys for all your work and bringing the pleasure back to me in computing!

There is no shame in using Windows, especially when there are apps that you need/want that aren't available in Linux. One Windows app that I really would want (Or an equivalent too) is Microsoft Office 2007. Open office is a good replacement for 2003, but not for 2007. There are plenty of proper apps you can't get for Linux when you are specialized in something, like CAD programs for instance. And PC games are one of my biggest problems when only using Linux and I don't find Wine or Cedega to be a good solution either.

You will fit in this community no matter what your using, I think dual boots are great in some situations. I use Linux Mint the majority of the time anyway. You are still part of the Linux Mint family even if you use Windows XP.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby McLovin on Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:53 am

I still use XP, but ONLY for gaming, and some high end graphic design and website maintenance. (I do graphic design for ppl sometimes, and I have my own web site that I am trying to get going). I also have my own small business doing pc repair, custom building, and virus removal, among other things, so I have to have a Windows box. But for most things I use Linux, if I don't absolutely HAVE to use Windows, I don't.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Chi on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:50 am

Absolutely agree with previous posts.

I have 2 versions of Windows for applications that have propriety file formats and don't run on emulation (certain Geospatial, database & statistical apps). These are required for my work.

And on the same PC, for my computing and programming enjoyment, there are 2 Linux distros (Mint and Arch). Have even snuck some graphics from R into reports 'cause it was more fun in Linux. :P

Welcome to a great distro and community.
Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Chi
Level 2
Level 2

Postby alcatraz on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:09 am

I'm on a testing-phase with Linux. Before that I ran Windwos Vista.
I tried a lot of distributions and Mint is the first one that I really enjoy an seems to be perfect for me :)
I started with Mint 1 week ago.
If the everyday life in the university of applied sciences is good with Mint I keep it. If not, then not :( I just hope that there are no problems!
alcatraz@daryna

"If you want to test a man's character, give him power."
-- Abraham Lincoln
alcatraz
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions