[SOLVED] Upgrading from Bianca to Daryna

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mykec
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Upgrading from Bianca to Daryna

Post by mykec »

Hello. A first time poster in this forum I am.

I am planning to upgrade from Mint 2.2 to Mint 4.0 sometime within the coming week or so.

Linux Mint is my first experience with debian-based distributions. Over the years while using Red Hat, Mandrake and SuSE I once read that debian-based distros need not be completely reinstalled each time a major upgrade is desired. By merely applying regular updates, old installations can be kept completely up-to-date with the new ones.

Is this really true of debian? And if so, does this apply to Linux Mint as well since it is a debian-based distro?

When I have and insert my Linux Mint 4.0 installation CD, will I be greeted with only an "Install" icon as I was with Mint 2.2? Or will I have an upgrade option too?

Thanks,

Myke
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cutiger95

Re: Upgrading from Bianca to Daryna

Post by cutiger95 »

My experience with ubuntu is that you are better off with a fresh install. However Mint may be a different beast entirely and I like you await an answer from someone with experience.
molom

Post by molom »

mykec wrote:Hello. A first time poster in this forum I am.

I am planning to upgrade from Mint 2.2 to Mint 4.0 sometime within the coming week or so.

Linux Mint is my first experience with debian-based distributions. Over the years while using Red Hat, Mandrake and SuSE I once read that debian-based distros need not be completely reinstalled each time a major upgrade is desired. By merely applying regular updates, old installations can be kept completely up-to-date with the new ones.

Is this really true of debian? And if so, does this apply to Linux Mint as well since it is a debian-based distro?

When I have and insert my Linux Mint 4.0 installation CD, will I be greeted with only an "Install" icon as I was with Mint 2.2? Or will I have an upgrade option too?

Thanks,

Myke
That isn't possible. There is too much of a difference in versions. Its not like upgrading Windows or Mac. I suggest you back everything up and then install Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna. Use an external hard drive to back it up to make it easier or just burn a dvd with the info (If your computer doesn't have a DVD burner, use an external hard drive). If you want to wait you can also try the Linux Mint E17 edition.
I mean it! Don't try to upgrade otherwise your computer will either be really slow or won't even boot Linux Mint (I am sure of it).

Cheers,
molom
mykec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mykec »

That isn't possible. There is too much of a difference in versions. Its not like upgrading Windows or Mac.
I wouldn't know about that as I've never upgraded a Windows or Mac PC.
I suggest you back everything up and then install Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna.
Well, that's what I've been doing all along since 1999 with RPM-based Red Hat, Mandrake and SuSE. This being my first time upgrading a debian-based distro I was hoping I wouldn't have to because I've heard that complete, fresh re-installs aren't needed with debian.
Use an external hard drive to back it up to make it easier or just burn a dvd with the info (If your computer doesn't have a DVD burner, use an external hard drive).
Yeah, I've got that much down. I just bought both a 500GB external and a 1TB external drive for great prices on Black Friday. :)
If you want to wait you can also try the Linux Mint E17 edition.
What's up with that?
I mean it! Don't try to upgrade otherwise your computer will either be really slow or won't even boot Linux Mint (I am sure of it).
This is in accordance with my experience with all my previous RPM-based distributions. Only once did I choose to merely upgrade rather than re-install with Red Hat a few years ago. The upgrade went smoothly. It booted just fine. It didn't run any slower than before. The only thing that irked me is that it didn't fully upgrade my existing system to what I would have had had I opted to re-install from scratch. I was left with a sorta kinda half-n-half setup that didn't deliver what I expected.

Wish I could get a little more technical insight into what actually would happen if I opted to upgrade from Bianca to Daryna instead.

Thanks!

Myke
molom

Post by molom »

I can't help you anymore, thats all I know about upgrading. I've heard in some other topics in Mint forums it isn't recommended, but thats all. Linux Mint E17 is another distro, that is based on the Daryna base and E17 is used as the Desktop Environment instead of Gnome, for more info check - http://linuxminte17.wordpress.com/

Cheers,
molom
cutiger95

Post by cutiger95 »

Gotta ask, when can I get my Minty E17 fix on. I am like a kid at christmas waiting for his present. I tried Geubuntu and loved it but it was buggy and ran like dog poo. I expect the Mint version to run a whole lot better. So any update on the week that you will release?

Return to “Beginner Questions”