Disk slowly filling up by itself

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Disk slowly filling up by itself

Postby stowpirate on Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:13 pm

Hard drive being filled up even though I have not installed or added any data. Think it is related to printing large image files and that something is being left behind? Any idea on whats going on. Started with 2.7gb of free space now down to 1.7gb and no data has been added to the hd. Only printed four photos from ShowFoto listened to some music with Amarok and surfed the net with Firefox and lost 1gb. At this rate in a few days I will have run out of diskspace and will have to reload the OS again.
stowpirate
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Disk slowly filling up by itself

Postby MagnusB on Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:39 pm

If you have been looking at large images it might be that .thumbnails is building up. You could check this at two ways:
1. Use Disk Usage Analyzer and check what folder(s) is the culprit.
2. Involves using the terminal, but I prefer this way, because then you could focus on the hidden folders in /home/user/ (which is generally the culprits when the HDD is loosing space):
Code: Select all
du -c --max-depth=1 /home/user/.[a-zA-Z0-9_]* | sort -k1,1 -n

Here is an example of what mine gives:
596 /home/magnus/.gstreamer-0.10
632 /home/magnus/.themes/Moomex-Ultimatum
656 /home/magnus/.thumbnails/normal
660 /home/magnus/.thumbnails
756 /home/magnus/.themes/BlackBoard
772 /home/magnus/.themes/Truth+
824 /home/magnus/.themes/SlicknesS(golden)
3840 /home/magnus/.themes
4876 /home/magnus/.cache/tracker
4880 /home/magnus/.cache
36692 /home/magnus/.mozilla/firefox
36696 /home/magnus/.mozilla

I see that .mozilla and .cache is the largest folders, so I would go about and clean them out :) Even though 36696 bytes is only roughly 34 MB, I can clean out my temp files in Firefox, and then be on my way..
EDIT:
You could look here and at this
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby stowpirate on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:40 am

Thanks for that info. I ran baobab in a terminal and found that my ShowFoto cache was full of debris 384mbish and deleted it. Strange running kde based stuff in gnome - must be a problem with the desktop gnome environment not cleaning up as I cannot remember having the same problem in Mepis 6.5 KDE which I used for the last few months.
stowpirate
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:13 am

I was looking through my /var/cache as well, it measured 300 MB, I thought this was temporary files which could be deleted at reboot.. It seems like apt is a big sinner for me, but I am bit scared of deleting that, breaking apt is pretty hard to undo..
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby stowpirate on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:11 pm

I have 355mb of stuff in the var/cache directory - interesting I will have to keep an eye on that one and see if it grows. Maybe if I have to reinstall again I will delete the directory content and see what happens. it must be possible to have a script that deletes the debris from ShowFoto as I use it all the time and an hours editing produces 300mb of junk could this be done at startup?
stowpirate
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Sorry, I am unaware of such. You might have to make a script you can run, but I could not help you with that even if you held a gun to my head...
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions