Do I need antivirus and a firewall?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Do I need antivirus and a firewall?

Postby stowpirate on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:20 pm

Do I need antivirus and a firewall in Linux or is it just an MS Windows problem? Never sure about this one as I have never really had a problem with Linux and Windows. However on my dual boot second OS Windows XP I have avg anti virus, XP firewall, ms security advisor, MS Defender and spybot. So why is Linux safe and do I have anything to look out for? Or should i install a firewall and antivirus software just to feel safe?
stowpirate
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Do I need antivirus and a firewall?

Postby puba62 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Straight from the Mint wiki... this should explain :)

http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Doe ... e-firewall
puba62
Level 1
Level 1

Postby molom on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:32 pm

Linux doesn't need a anti-virus. The funniest thing I've seen was when I was a newbie and really liked Lindows/Linspire and they were selling a Linux anti-virus, so they can just suck your money and give you a program that is practically useless. There are like 6 linux viruses and they don't even affect Debian. So you are practically safe with Linux Mint.
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby stowpirate on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:02 pm

I notice that mint Software Portal has both a antivirus and firewall available for download but I think after reading the posts and other information I will not bother to install them. Thanks for the help. :D
stowpirate
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Noob Saibot on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:08 pm

I would recommend guarddog as it passes the Shields Up! test and using ipblock as well.
Enjoying the Mint Experience
"(to touch the earth is to have harmony with nature)" -hippy
Noob Saibot
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MagnusB on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:23 am

Iptables comes with a basic installation of Mint, so you have a firewall at install. Just use firestarter to configure it if you want to be a bit more "secure":
Code: Select all
sudo aptitude install firestarter

Firestarter is just a GUI used to configure iptables, no need for it to be running for the firewall to be "in effect". As for the necessity of a firewall is debatable, if you have a decent router that should have a built in firewall, your ISP probably has a firewall "in the line", so that makes it at least 2 walls before your computer, and a local one is more a matter of taste and the stealth mode capabilities.
As for AV or AS, it is a complete waste of resource and space on a linux box, most known spyware and virus only runs on Windows, and do not work on OSX or Linux/Unix/BSD/Solaris etc, one of the benefits of using a *x OS. You could occasionally delete your temporary internet files to clean out tracker cookies though, those are platform independent..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby paradigmX on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:36 pm

A firewall is always a good idea whether your on Windows, Linux, or Mac. A Firewall allows you to prevent access to your computer without your permission or the permissions set in your firewall.

Anti-virus in Linux is ok to have, but not required, the amount of Linux viruses in existence are next to nil in comparison to windows viruses. You may catch a windows virus through wine, but the chances of it running well enough to do any damage is also pretty small.

if your the paranoid type, then i would say yes to the anti-virus, if not i wouldn't worry about it too much
paradigmX
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions