Dual Boot Windows Xp/Linux Mint without deleting Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Dual Boot Windows Xp/Linux Mint without deleting Mint

Postby paradigmX on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:13 pm

Well, here is the situation, I'm currently running my laptop dedicated to Linux Mint, but for College I need to use Visual Studio for my VB.NET course, I've been running it in a VM but its painfully slow when compiling moderately large programs and I want to setup my laptop as a dual boot with XP so I Won't wait so long for Compile times. This leaves me with a problem, I have a lot of Vital data stored in /home/<username> that I don't want to loose, as well as a lot of configurations I don't want to have to redo. I could repartition my Hard Drive and Install Windows, but that leaves Mint in an un-bootable state as XP seems to need exclusive rights to the MBR when it installs, so that makes that pretty much a bad option. My other option was to backup /home to an external Hard drive, install windows, install Linux Mint and then restore /home afterwards, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

I guess my question would be, how could I do this with the least chance of losing my data, and the least amount of inconvenience? I would need to be back up and running before Monday's classes

Any help or advice I could get would be very much appreciated
paradigmX
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Boot Windows Xp/Linux Mint without deleting Mint

Postby Chi on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Restoring Grub after Windows reclaims MBR is actually pretty simple (though with any repartitioning backup is recommended - mintBackup has just been released so it makes that easier too).

check out:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6987&p=44363&hilit=restore+grub#p44363
Uses super grub. Small download & it is an awesome tool.
Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Chi
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions