degree symbol in emails

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

degree symbol in emails

Post by jerrybee »

What key-combination do I need to enter to get the degree symbol in an email message? In Windows, one presses and holds the Alt key then enters 1-6-7 in the numeric keypad and finally releases the Alt key. I've tried this in Linux, in Thunderbird, both with and without the Num Lock key having been pressed, and get nothing. Some assistance will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Re: degree symbol in emails

Post by T J Tulley »

In Thunderbird, R-click on Insert (top line), select Insert Character, select Common Symbols, click on ^, list of characters appears. Degree symbol is 6th from bottom.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
maman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maman »

Or, one solution I find quite easy is to add 'character palette' to your panel. Right click on some space on the panel, select add to panel, locate 'character palette' on the utilities group, and select 'add'. It will add kind of 'palette', and it has lots of characters to add. I usually add superscript two (²) by clicking on the appropriate character, and paste it into your text (it copy to sort of 'clipboard', I guess).

EDIT: by the way I did ask someone on linuxmint IRC channel, and he/she said something sounds like 'ASCII characters doesn't supported by Linux' or so. Unfortunately, I didn't save the chat log. :oops:
:twisted: DON'T visit Indonesia! :twisted:
:D It's DANGEROUSLY beautiful! :D
----------------------------------------
Maman
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jerrybee »

T J Tulley wrote:In Thunderbird, R-click on Insert (top line), select Insert Character, select Common Symbols, click on ^, list of characters appears. Degree symbol is 6th from bottom.
That works fine. Thanks for the help.
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jerrybee »

[quote="maman"]Or, one solution I find quite easy is to add 'character palette' to your panel. Right click on some space on the panel, select add to panel, locate 'character palette' on the utilities group, and select 'add'. It will add kind of 'palette', and it has lots of characters to add. I usually add superscript two (²) by clicking on the appropriate character, and paste it into your text (it copy to sort of 'clipboard', I guess).

Thanks for the suggestion. Note the reply by T J Tulley -- I tried it and it gave me a lot of special symbols to choose from, including the superscript 2, so it might be a simpler way for you to get access to more symbols. In any case, I appreciate your response.

Return to “Beginner Questions”