Firefox inconsistancy with wireless settings

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Firefox inconsistancy with wireless settings

Postby abhishek on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:22 am

Hi everyone...
Need some help...

I have a toshiba L100 laptop, after windoes packed in, I decided to venture down the Linux route. After looking at many live-Cds i chose Linux Mint.

I am running the Linux Mint 4.0 Community Edition, as i felt it had most of the applications.

The linux installation was fine, it hung in the end, but after a reboot went well. The problem lies with the wireless interent. Linux is able to see and connect to the internet, I get good signal strength, (MintWifi) but firefox will not show me the page, and says that the internet is not connected.

Bar that I am loving linux, and have already started to put it on my other laptops.

Need some help on this one please...!
abhishek
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox inconsistancy with wireless settings

Postby Husse on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:09 am

You did not say which community edition :)
I think you are not getting name resolution - that is if you really get on the net - i.e. you are able to ping or so (ping http://www.google.com in a terminal)
Possible solution
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... e_programs
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby abhishek on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:06 pm

Thank you for your response,

I am able to ping google.com. I have Beta 044 running. I really do like it bar this one teething problem. Its is fantastic.

Its just really weird! I had a look at the article link you found for me, am not sure if it applies to me if a i am able to ping. As far as i understand, i am on the interent, just cant see it!
abhishek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:13 am

Well, we can't know everything can we - I certainly can't :)
You can ping - this means that ping works and if you use an some http://www.**** and not an IP ping has name resolution. Name resolution is the process that translates things like http://www.linuxmint.com to an IP (85.25.140.89) and so makes it possible to use the net
The settings in your computer probably points to your modem/router as a DNS server (name server)
Your modem/router transfers the name resolution it finds on the internet to your computer.
For reasons I don't understand sometimes some applications can't use that and if you point your network to the name servers on the net these applications get name resolution
I have this problem in some of my installed Mint but not in some....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby abhishek on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:18 pm

I now understand the technical side of it.... it sounds baffeling to be honest...
So that is the best way to resolve this matter?
abhishek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:56 pm

If it works it's the only way available (to set DNS IP etc as in the wiki)
This is a complex interaction between soft- and hardware in several ways and to find a better way is probably going to take longer than the system lasts :) (or it's a piece of cake and I'm a cakehead)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions