how do I know if 3d effects are enabled

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

how do I know if 3d effects are enabled

Postby TechDragon on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:11 pm

I installed my ati drivers with envy and the ati control panel works.

I clicked on enable 3d compiz in the menu and an icon blinked for a while and then went away. However, the enable 3d compiz did not change or indicate that it was now enabled in any way.

I particularly liked the effect that made the window warble and wave when you move it around and that doesn't seem to work. What is the name of that effect and how do I enable it.

Thanks
TechDragon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how do I know if 3d effects are enabled

Postby Kynan on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:24 am

That effect is actually called "wobbly windows" but you shouldn't need to know that because if you right click the desktop and select change desktop background then change to the visual effects tab this is the 3d desktop effects level selector , if you have no wobbly windows this would probably mean your settings are set to off or normal try setting it to Extra and it should work, if not try logging out and back in.

Alternatively if you want to select what features you want to turn on yourself (like beryl) search synaptic for compizconfig-settings-manager once installed go back the the visual effects tab and now you should see a custom selection where in there you can select whatever you want.

enjoy! and note sometimes to get some effects (such as window previews) you may have to log out and back in.
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby TechDragon on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:20 am

I do not have a change background picture choice when I right click, I have a configure desktop, but it does not have a visual effects tab.

I am using daryna 4.0 is there another way to get to this setting?
TechDragon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kynan on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:36 am

hmm thats interesting that you do not have that option, there is another way to get to the same thing tho;
daryna "mintMenu" > search for appearance or alternatively look for it in prefences then navigate to the visual effects tab which will be the last one. If for some reason you still can't get into the menu it may be that compiz-fusion wasnt installed correctly... im not sure, it would then be past my knowledge to help you any further.
Goodluck. Kynan.
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions