What do you think abt Mint daryna? :)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

What do you think abt Mint daryna? :)

Postby fl8am on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:12 am

I just install it on my desktop and laptop, and I'm just lovin it!! works great, free and legal! perfect system :D

share your feelings and experiences :=]
Open Your Mind... use OpenSource! :=]
fl8am
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What do you think abt Mint daryna? :)

Postby rcdeacon on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:56 am

I started using Mint 4.0 shortly after it came out final, I believe I started in November or December of 2007. It is without a doubt the greatest Linux distro I have ever used! I had been using another distro which was also very good and I had become very used to the kde interface. However since migrating to Mint I have become very comfortable with gnome and actually prefer it now. I also introduced Mint to my sister last night. I installed Mint 4.0 on her Toshiba laptop and everything worked out of the box. I'm sold on it!
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mumbo719 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:45 am

I love Mint, the Mint goodies, Gnome and the community.

I'm not feeling the love from the underlying Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon though. Seems to have many more bugs than the Edgy or Feisty releases. Unfortunately the Gutsy release is the first to support my sound card so switching back to Cassandra and Celina is not an option.

I am running Darnya on one machine and Mandriva One 2008 Gnome on another.
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Zwopper on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:21 pm

Mint is the future of Linux for sure!
Welcome to the Mint family and congratulations fl8am!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby paradigmX on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:56 pm

I'd used Slackware, gentoo, Debian, Mandrake(now Mandriva) and built an LFS box in the past, I played with Daryna a few weeks ago and was hooked. Its got everything you need and the few things you don't have are in the package manager.

For a Desktop Linux system it blows Windows and other linux distros out of the water and is the only one to work out of the box with all 5 Desktop computers i own. its quite powerful and I havn't run across any major problems yet and I've been running it for a month.

Now, I still have trouble saying "best" distro because LFS and Slackware have been very kind to my server computers, but then again I like to start with a barebones system and compile what I need onto it, but they are certainly not for newbies or even many linux "gurus" as they are pretty much garanteed not to work out of the box with any computer unless you want a basic CLI with no additional applications. Adjusting Mint to work on those servers would nullify the purpose of Mint imo.

Best desktop distro, yes.
Best overall distro, I'm sorry, I'm still gonna have to give that honor to LFS, followed closely by slackware(depending on how much time i have to build the system)

P.S. I do not recommend jumping into either LFS or Slack unless you are confident with the CLI, know how to Bash script, have compiled ssome packages in the past and have a relatively deep understanding of which packages you use and which you don't, as well as package dependancies. Just stick with Mint, I know I will on my Desktops
paradigmX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pete284 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:05 pm

Well its coaxed me away from Windows after years.

I'm here to stay!
pete284
Level 1
Level 1

Postby deadguy on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:15 pm

I think that mint is the best linux distro out there!
(I've tried many)
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions