Daryna - restricted drivers, compiz works but no 3d games

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Daryna - restricted drivers, compiz works but no 3d games

Postby stoer on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:47 am

Hi all,
I've installed Daryna, set the restricted drivers and have compiz working like a dream, great stuff!
Only thing is i can no longer play any 3d games, less great.

I had Celena working with Beryl and Emerald and could still enjoy a good 3d shoot 'em up.

I'm using a laptop with a ATI ( :( ) mobility 9700, like i said, i have the restricted drivers enabled and compiz works.

Code: Select all
 dmesg | grep fglrx
[   42.140000] fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
[   42.148000] [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1414 MBytes.
[   42.148000] [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.37.6 [May 25 2007] on minor 0
[   43.772000] [fglrx] Internal AGP support requested, but kernel AGP support active.
[   43.772000] [fglrx] Have to use kernel AGP support to avoid conflicts.
[   43.772000] [fglrx] AGP detected, AgpState   = 0x1f000217 (hardware caps of chipset)
[   43.776000] [fglrx] AGP enabled,  AgpCommand = 0x1f000314 (selected caps)
[   43.788000] [fglrx] total      GART = 268435456
[   43.788000] [fglrx] free       GART = 252440576
[   43.788000] [fglrx] max single GART = 252440576
[   43.788000] [fglrx] total      LFB  = 134217728
[   43.788000] [fglrx] free       LFB  = 119828480
[   43.788000] [fglrx] max single LFB  = 119828480
[   43.788000] [fglrx] total      Inv  = 134217728
[   43.788000] [fglrx] free       Inv  = 134217728
[   43.788000] [fglrx] max single Inv  = 134217728
[   43.788000] [fglrx] total      TIM  = 0

DISPLAY=:0 glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

steve@steve-laptop:~$ fglxinfo
bash: fglxinfo: command not found
steve@steve-laptop:~$ glxinfo
name of display: :1.0
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".
display: :1  screen: 0
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_OML_swap_method,
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe,
    GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_ARB_multisample,
    GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float, GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_ARB_multisample
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (2.0.6473 (8.37.6))
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map,
    GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine,
    GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_abgr,
    GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract,
    GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine,
    GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias

visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x2c 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x2d 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x2e 32 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 Ncon
0x2f 32 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 Ncon

I'm pretty sure my setup is missing something (fglxinfo - command not found)

As to 3d games is this a Either / OR question (either compiz but no games / Games and no compiz)?

I know the forums here and in Ubuntu are full of this sort of problem, i've been reading all morning (even tried installing the driver through ENVY (that might have pooched my set up all together, uninstalled it as it didn't work for me and reinstalled the restricted driver)but for a relative beginner its very difficult to find an answer that is applicable to your own unique situation.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just a link to something that may make this a little clearer for me.
Thanks in advance.
stoer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Daryna - restricted drivers, compiz works but no 3d games

Postby stoer on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:05 am

Ok, me again.
No.. I'm not being impatient, I'm still busy looking for answers myself.
Just wondering if it's possible to create a new session to add to the login choices. A new session with direct rendering and no compiz (so without xgl?)
Would this be a work around? and if so does anyone know how i would do this?
Still appreciate a link/a hint or a few wise words
Cheers.

from my post before.....strike fglxinfo doesn't work i think it should be FGLRXINFO
which does....
 fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6473 (8.37.6)
stoer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby stoer on Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:57 am

Ok,
Gutsy enables xgl by default.
Disabling compiz by returning to Metacity using....
metacity --replace
doesn't help, i'm still getting the same problem with Warsow and still no direct rendering. That, and choppy windows - experiencing Tearing when moving objects/windows arround the desktop.
The login screen offers Gnome or xgl script(?) logging into either and i'm in a xgl enviroment ie compiz enabled direct rendering not.
Strange but Penguin racer works (3d game).

Is this purely a driver problem?, a Compiz issue? (no direct rendering whilst using compiz).

My question again,

Is it possible to create 2 sessions (login menu), 1) no compiz and direct rendering (gaming) and 2) compiz - nice effects (but no games?)
As far as my ATI card goes, i'm stuck there it's in my laptop so replacing the card is not possible.
I have however just bought a Nvida card for my PC, hopefully at least computing in the attic will turn out better than linux on an ati based laptop (shame - as the laptop is the most used :( ).
stoer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby stoer on Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:04 am

Hi.

Ok...
maybe i'm doing something wrong here? Am i asking the wrong question in the wrong place?

I am an inexperienced Linux user (Newbie) trying to make sense of what is in all probability to you Experienced users (Non Newbies) an old and well known issue.
I have used the SEARCH function in this forum and in the forums of Ubuntu, I have GOOGLED extensively and i have read dozens of posts. (depends a little on what you use for search criteria - and that i guess is the key to this problem, KNOWING WHAT TO ASK/LOOK for!).

70% of the posts i have read tell me how to get COMPIZ working, the remainder tell me how to install other drivers for my ATI mobility 9700 card (using ENVY, using the ATI drivers from ATI or using the RESTRICTED drives included in the system).

COMPIZ works for me, I have no problems there, none! I Like it, it's the first time in mint that i have ever had COMPIZ working.
I understand that with COMPIZ+XGL installed that i cannot expect DIRECT RENDERING to work as well.

I believe, (don't know for sure) that by the GDM LOGIN that there should be a way og logging in to either an XGL session or into a Non-XGL session. Whatever choice i make when starting a session i come into a desktop environment that has COMPIZ enabled. If i disable effects using either the Appearance settings or by reverting to Metacity i still have no direct rendering.

As a Newbie i don't want to ruin an apparently working and enjoyable system by doing something that i shouldn't, all i ask for is little advice (even if it's just a "read this" link - my own searches have provided no clear answers).

I have used both Linux Mint and Ubuntu in the past, in both i have had XGL (Beryl-emerald) effects working, in both by the GDM login options i could choose between an effects enabled system and for one without. In both i have enjoyed Linux systems that let me play Open GL games in the non effects enabled sessions. So, why is this apparently not the case now?

I'm sorry if you as Experienced users find these questions Tiresome and unworthy of your time, whatever.... I'll carry on trying to solve this until i get too frustrated, then i'll go and install something else to see if works any better.

Thanks anyway (great looking Linux and one of the best out of the box systems i've ever encountered).

EDIT> Sorry rule 9 from "how to get help here" applies.... Way too stressed, i'm turning this thing off and going to go play with the kids, Just ignore the above, i'll figure something out :)
stoer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby stoer on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:32 pm

He he he he....
125 views and not one single reply...ok

Me, i gave up to, read too much kept getting overloaded with unnecessary links and information, just cost too many hours.

Been out and i've bought an Nvida card for my PC, just installed the card, reinstalled win xp and am going to give Linux Mint the first shot at being the dual boot option. Lets see if all these stories about NVIDA are true or not ;)

ENVY is the best option here right?
stoer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions