Mint moving further and further away from Ubuntu?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint moving further and further away from Ubuntu?

Postby professorsnapper on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:20 am

A question, but first this quote (grabbed from another thread, courtesy of Antique Xray I think):

(quote begins) " molom wrote:I've been trying this way of installing it. ( http://www.getmiro.com/download/ubuntu.php ), but how come Mints synaptic option 'respitory' is different to Ubuntu's one. So how do I install it?

...and therein lies the rub.

Yes, Mint sprung from Ubuntu, but as Husse said no too long ago, it's moving further and further away all the time (or something like that). As far as installing, I'm thinking you're taking about changing the repo. It may be that the sources.list will have to be edited manually through terminal." (quote ends)

This makes me wonder... One of the reasons I've been leaning towards Mint is because it offers more out-of-the-box usability than Ubuntu, yet retains compatibility with Ubuntu's software repositories (or so I thought)...

should I read the discussion above to mean that this compatibility should not be relied upon in the future (or even now)? Is there any reason why compatibility with Ubuntu cannot or should not be retained? I can see plenty of reasons it should be retained...

Thanks,
Snapper.
professorsnapper
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint moving further and further away from Ubuntu?

Postby professorsnapper on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:25 am

Oh, and another thought:

It seems to me that the idea of having to manually edit sources lists in terminal to access Ubuntu repo's is contrary to Mint's general ethos, and perhaps a disincentive to those looking to Mint for a simplified, more streamlined user experience...

Your thoughts?

Snap.
professorsnapper
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint moving further and further away from Ubuntu?

Postby Kynan on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:43 am

With regards to installing miro, you can still use the ubuntu repo the problem was that it crashed just after opening it. it turns out that it is the java version installed on mint that as causing the ill effect of the program to crash just after opening to fix it icetea version of java has to be installed, there is a very good how-to somewhere in the forums, i dont think this was anything to do with compatibility with the repo.

as for editing the sources.list file it can be edited graphically via synaptic > settings > repositories but i agree this could be done and made alot easier hmm possibly a new mint tool could be made for this..?

as for compatibility, i would say that it still is 99% compatible and i hope it stays this way, but i will not count on it as i know the aim of mint is to make it as easy for the user as possible even if it means changing bases to Debian or fedora for example.
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions