Hello, new to linux and need some guidance

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
elajas82

Hello, new to linux and need some guidance

Post by elajas82 »

Hi.

I'm new to linux. The reason, why i'm tring to switch over to linux, is because i'm getting sick and tired of windows (XP) problems ... There is always something wrong and in the end i haveto format and start clean again ... average windows life time is ~80 days in my PC :roll:
Anyway i'm looking alternative OS and it seems linux is right now the only answer. I have tested mint Celena (beta) and ubuntu. My goal is to run linux and windows in my PC (the only reason why i need windows, is because i love games).

Here is my PC hdd layout (in case you wanto know):
80GB primary hdd (for os)
160GB for arhives (backups, personal stuff and so on)
160GB for other stuff (temporaly things, games and so on)

So my questions are:

1. How can i install linux and windows in the same hdd? I have tried before and i failed :(
2. Is there any way to assign root privileges to normal user? The last time i was messing with linux, i managed to install ubuntu (no windows) and i had some problems installing or editing some files/apps using my main acc. That acc was admin but still it was missing some privileges ....
3. is there any good "noob friendly" guides for linux. Overall the linux is easy and simple, but i get really confused about the console ... :(

Like i said, i'm a total noob to linux ... i have used Windows all my life, so please be gentle :oops:

Thank You
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
elajas82

Re: Hello, new to linux and need some guidance

Post by elajas82 »

Thanks for the answer :)

I have tried to install it on the second partition on my 80GB hdd, but after i finished and rebooted: only windows and no linux :( Why is that so? I was betting, that it may be because of the partitions i choosed for linux. That's the other thing that confuses me: all these partitions linux need. Windows is easy: just one partition, click and install. Now linux needs more than one: swap and other (ext3). Is there some order how i haveto create these partition? Also, how important is this "mount point" (actually i have no idea what it is for)?

Sorry, if these questions are "dumb" or "silly" or [insert word here] ... like i said: i have no experience with linux :oops: but i'm a quick learner if just someone would point me into right direction :)

Thank You
elajas82

Post by elajas82 »

So let me get this right, i create these partitions in that order:

1. I create partition "ext3" with mounting point " /" lets say 35GB
2. i create partition swap with the rest 5 GB

Why is this third partition? what format and mount point it shuld be?
Like i understand, linux creates user folder automaticly to every user?
Would this 3 partition be like separate hdd to store user folder? (if it is, then i can see the point of it :))

Thank You
elajas82

Post by elajas82 »

Thanks for repy :)
Please correct me if i'm wrong:
- 15gb "/" ext3 - for system files
- 23gb "/home" ext3 - for user folder (like "my Documents" in XP)
- 2gb - swap - for swap

Thank You :)
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

A home partition is not necessary, especially for one that is new to Linux. If you ever want to add another Linux Distro in the future, using a home partition for both Linux OS's complicates things.

Another option would be, save all your data and documents in a storage partition. If you are in Open Office for example, when you save file, just point it to your storage device and you are good to go.

I am not saying that any of the above is what everyone should do, I am just expressing different options. So users that like the home partition, please do not flame me to bad......lol...........both ways have their advantages !

regards,
BakUp
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

you can check out the Daryna user guide: http://www.linuxmint.com/pub/Daryna_User_Guide.pdf
I always make my swap partition 2x the amount of ram I have.
elajas82

Post by elajas82 »

BakUp wrote:A home partition is not necessary, especially for one that is new to Linux. If you ever want to add another Linux Distro in the future, using a home partition for both Linux OS's complicates things.
I can see the point, but i'm planning to use only one linux so i guess it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the answers, i will try to install linux (after i have backed up my important stuff from 80GB HDD)

Now the only thing i would be intrested, is: can i assign root privileges or atleast little higher rights to my main acc in linux. I had problems using my main acc when i was testing ubuntu because i could not do some stuff - only root was able do do it. After i did some diging on the net, i found a way to do it, but when i loged in the ubuntu started to scream i have too high premissions and displayed couple "are you shure" dialogs ... :?
I don't wanto use root acc, because many programs display something like:" OMG, you are using root acc, it is not safe to use this app in root acc" and so on ...
deadguy wrote:you can check out the Daryna user guide: http://www.linuxmint.com/pub/Daryna_User_Guide.pdf
I always make my swap partition 2x the amount of ram I have.
I did that before i signed up here :) helped me lot but still i had some qoestions like you see.

Thank You
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

elajas82 wrote:
Now the only thing i would be intrested, is: can i assign root privileges or atleast little higher rights to my main acc in linux. I had problems using my main acc when i was testing ubuntu because i could not do some stuff - only root was able do do it. After i did some diging on the net, i found a way to do it, but when i loged in the ubuntu started to scream i have too high premissions and displayed couple "are you shure" dialogs ... :?
I don't wanto use root acc, because many programs display something like:" OMG, you are using root acc, it is not safe to use this app in root acc" and so on ...

what kinda stuff could you not do?

it's never a good idea to use a root account for
every day computing.
logging into a "user" account makes your
system safer!
ubuntu and mint use sudo to let you do administrative tasks.
elajas82

Post by elajas82 »

deadguy wrote: what kinda stuff could you not do?

it's never a good idea to use a root account for
every day computing.
logging into a "user" account makes your
system safer!
ubuntu and mint use sudo to let you do administrative tasks.
I can't remember what i did (it was almost month ago when i tested ubuntu)
For example, i wanted to edit one system file (i can't remember what file it was) but i got errors while saveing saying: you don't have right premissions
Same was with console, i tried to do one task but again: i don't have right premissions.

What i'm looking for, is premissions like in XP: every user can be admin and do whatever he likes. Ofcourse using root as everyday acc isn't good because of the security .... So i was wondering, is there something similar in linux: i can do administrative task (edit system files if i needto for example) using my main acc?

Edit: if i remember correctly, i got premissions error while tring to use sudo command ...
elajas82

Post by elajas82 »

Well, i guess this user thing is something i haveto get used to ... just was wondering is there a way whitout loging in as root :|

Anyway, thank you all for your help.
If i get into trouble, i will ask again :)

Thank You All
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

elajas82 wrote: I can't remember what i did (it was almost month ago when i tested ubuntu)
For example, i wanted to edit one system file (i can't remember what file it was) but i got errors while saveing saying: you don't have right premissions
Same was with console, i tried to do one task but again: i don't have right premissions.

What i'm looking for, is premissions like in XP: every user can be admin and do whatever he likes. Ofcourse using root as everyday acc isn't good because of the security .... So i was wondering, is there something similar in linux: i can do administrative task (edit system files if i needto for example) using my main acc?
to edit a file you would open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit path of the file to edit
of course, where I put "path of the file to edit" you would put the files path. (example: /home/yourname/yourfile)

this would open the file in gedit with root privileges.

edit: of course always be careful when editing system files!!!!!!!!!
one wrong move can hose your system!!!!!
Last edited by deadguy on Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elajas82

Post by elajas82 »

deadguy wrote:
to edit a file you would open a terminal and type

gksudo gedit path of the file to edit
of course, where I put "path of the file to edit" you would put the files path. (example: /home/yourname/yourfile)

this would open the file in gedit with root privileges.
Thanks, i will remember it ;)
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

elajas82 wrote:administrative task (edit system files if i needto for example)
You could try this in a terminal:

sudo gksudo nautilus
That will bring up the nautilus root mode file manager.
Then go to your folder/file > right click > Properties > permission > there you should be able to set the permission to_your_user_name.

This avoids using the terminal to getting user permission.

Edit: oops, deadguy, you beat me to it.
Last edited by BakUp on Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
elajas82

Post by elajas82 »

deadguy wrote:
edit: of course always be careful when editing system files!!!!!!!!!
one wrong move can hose your system!!!!!
I know ... i had to reinstall ubuntu after i modified the one system file (i think it was the file that stores your graphic card configuration)
I made a little note for myself on that day: "never edit any system file if you don't know why it is used for" ... lol
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

elajas82 wrote:
I know ... i had to reinstall ubuntu after i modified the one system file (i think it was the file that stores your graphic card configuration)
I made a little note for myself on that day: "never edit any system file if you don't know why it is used for" ... lol
words to live by!!!

good luck with your install and welcome to mint :D
elajas82

Post by elajas82 »

Ok, i'm back.
I managed to install windows and then i installed mint. Now i have same problem i had last time: when i boot up only windows is there, no linux. I think i figured it out. Like i said i have 3 hdd in my pc but i didn't mention, that 2 of them are sata2 and one is my old ide drive. When i installed mint and made partitions, the ide drive was listed as first, then my 80gb sata2 and then the last 160gb sata2.
When the installation finished, i rebooted my PC. For my suprise: no linux boot ... only windows. I tried several times: still no linux. Then i manually booted from my 80gb hdd and guess what: linux mint boot screen.

It seems, that my pc is first looking boot records from that ide drive. Even in my pc bios this ide drive is first and then the sata drives (there is nothing i can do about that ... i have tried). I did change the settings, that the 80GB is first to search for os but it only finds windows ...

Is there any solution for that .... i mean the linux is working, so is the windows but i haveto manually boot to use mint.

I also made a screenshot while i was installing if that helps:
mypc.jpg
this is made before i started to select the partitions, also some parts of this screen are in estonian, but in general i think you understand.

So is there any solution or do i haveto get used to manual boot?

Thank You
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

hmm, sot sure what's going on here...

did mint put grub on the mbr?

I have read about other people having grub issues when using
both ide and sata drives.(I've always had either sata or ide but not both on one machine, so I'm unfamiliar with this problem)

you can check out this from the wiki: http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _your_grub
elajas82

Post by elajas82 »

Right now the mint and windows are working, the only thing is if i wanto use use mint, i haveto boot manually and i can live with that (only 2 keystrokes when i boot :)). I'm not going to mess with any system files for now ... i'm planning to replace my two 160 GB hdd-s with one splitted 500GB sata2 hdd soon ... i hope it will fix this problem :D

Anway, thanks for all your help, the mint is working great: all my hardware works (i havent tested my canon printer yet tho), compiz has made my desktop an a eyecandy and for almost every program i used and needed in windows, there is an alternate in linux so i think things are looking good :)

Thank You

Return to “Beginner Questions”