is installing KDE beta without DVD possible

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

is installing KDE beta without DVD possible

Postby JoshuaRyan on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:43 pm

Hello, I currently have the Fluxbox beta installed on my machine and have had the pleasure of trying out KDE community edition beta on my friends machine and loved it. The problem is that I do not have a DVD drive and would really like to install this. Does anyone know of a way I can span this to multiple cd's or do a network install? I'd really like to have the KDE version installed on my machine.

Thanks!
Joshua
JoshuaRyan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: is installing KDE beta without DVD possible

Postby JoshuaRyan on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:03 pm

Ok, so here is some more information on this. I downloaded the standard gnome edition of linux-mint and tried to install it as a compromise. However, the install hangs, i've tried all of the acpi switches etc but it still fails to start x-server.

Now, I'm able to install Kubuntu 7.04 and Kubuntu 7.10 on my machine but for some reason, the latest mint just won't install. Currently as i said, it'll go through the basic portion, fails at 1024x768 and then just sets at a blinking cursor.

I'm really struggling at this point and feel that Linux-mint might be the OS that I can switch to. In my tests, it just seems to make sense (I'm a Microsoft Admin at my job)

Anyways, any guidance would be appreciated.

My machine I'm loading this on is:
512 mb memory
onboard video
933 mhz processor (I know, slow)
15gb hard drive

If I can't load the mint from the live cd, is there a way to do a direct install, or perhaps upgrade from kubuntu?
I've tried many other linux builds with no success, they all had their glitches that just weren't a fit for me.
So far i've tried:
Lycoris
Lindows
Mandriva
Red-Hat
OpenSuse
Fedora
Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Xubuntu
Ubuntu Studio (I do a lot of video and audio work)
and probably many others....
I liked Mint for it's out of box ease of use.
The vnc was already there and ready to roll as were many other features.

If I can't get Mint loaded, how can I make Kubuntu more like mint?
JoshuaRyan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions