Slave Hard drive and graphic card

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Slave Hard drive and graphic card

Postby penguin73 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi and thanks in advaced for any help you can give me. This is my first time trying linux and I am having a lot of fun so far. My problem is the following....I installed Daryna in a PIII with 384 of ram. and two hard drives. installation went smooth and I partitioned my hard drives as follows...
My prymary hard drive is sda ext3 a "/" to mounted and I created a 1000 swap partition "sda1"
My slave drive is sdb ext3 formated to use all the space available .
Installation finished smoothly. The only problem I have is that I can't create folders on the second device. I can see the device and the only folder in there is called "lost and found" or something like it. When iI try opening that particular folder I get an error message.
How can I fix this? Please help. I try searching the forum but I didn't find a link to fix my problem.

My second problem is that the graphic card in my syatem is not allowing me to use the desktop effects. My graphic card is Creative Labs 3d graphic blaster RIVA TNT2 32 mb. I installed the nvidia legacy drivers and I still can't enable the desktop effect. Is telling me that I need to enable the driver. When I enable the driver the resolution gets worst with only two screen resolution choices. Please help!!! I will really appreciate it. Thank you in advanced
penguin73
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Slave Hard drive and graphic card

Postby dberg918 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:26 pm

The partition that you made on the second hard drive, did you tell it to point to /home, or did you just format it as ext3 space? If you didn't tell that partition to point to the /home directory, you might have trouble accessing it (though I have limited knowledge of accessing ext3 partitions outside of your current filesystem).
dberg918
Level 2
Level 2

Postby penguin73 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:37 pm

Thanks for your response. The second hard drive is formated this way....dev/sdb1/ ext3 /media/sdb1
penguin73
Level 1
Level 1

Postby deadguy on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:53 pm

open the the folder the drive is mounted in, then right click and choose properties.
select the permissions tab.
what are they set to??
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby penguin73 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi deadguy....I went to the permissions tab and everything is grayed out. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
penguin73
Level 1
Level 1

Postby deadguy on Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:24 am

penguin73 wrote:Hi deadguy....I went to the permissions tab and everything is grayed out. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

you can change them by using nautilus in root mode.

open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all
gksudo nautilus

you'll be prompted for your password, then nautilus will open with root privileges.
your selections on the permissions tab should then no longer be greyed out.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions