Install Mint over Gutsy

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Install Mint over Gutsy

Postby gdoutch on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:57 pm

I have a dual boot machine with XP Home and Gutsy. I was wondering if there is an easy way to install mint over my gutsy installation whilst holding onto my user accounts and data. Is it possible?
gdoutch
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install Mint over Gutsy

Postby rfurman24 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:34 pm

I am not sure but I would say It will work as long as you do not format /home partition. I am assuming you have a separate /home partition.
rfurman24
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gdoutch on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:25 pm

No I don't. I suppose it's the usual method then. No problems.
gdoutch
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rfurman24 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:39 am

I am not sure if it is the "normal" method. I have always done it since I started using linux. It allows for reinstalls without loosing important files. You do not have to format /home in that case. I do not believe you can do want you want then.
rfurman24
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zeller on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:16 pm

You might look into backing up your /home folder and just doing a clean install.
DISCLAIMER: Brand new user as of December 07...you have to explain it to me as if I were a 3rd grader.
zeller
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions