What 'UPDATES' should be installed?? solved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

What 'UPDATES' should be installed?? solved

Postby michelangelo on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Okay, so no need to say I am a newbie and switched to Linux, because I was tired of Windows.
I was using Linux Mint Cassandra (feisty ubuntu) for last 15 days..........It was working damn good, and I was really happy with the performance.
Problem started day before yesterday, when I read in some forum that all the 'updates' should be installed as they run system better and patch up security holes................
I read this, and I clicked the orange button of 'update manager' (which I now rather say as 'disaster manager'), and updated all the updates it offered (around 202 updates, 270 Mb).........Thats it, and I invited the devil!
After installing, I rebooted and noticed that now GRUB is taking a good 2 minutes to show me the boot menu, showing me 2 kernels, and when I booted the updated kernel, the system was performing like an alien. I was disturbed by this, and asked in forum for what to do for this? Then I did something stupid too out of frustration. I manually deleted "local and obsolete" files from synaptic package manager, and now the system was even worse. Later I read in many forums, that update problems like this happened to many people, and now they simply don't want to update their system.
Finally I reinstalled the linux mint and now what I feel that it is working perfect. Now again that "Orange button" on the task bar is mocking at me, and threatening me showing 202 updates available to download.

So here is my question for all of you Linux gurus ( including HUSSE, I know he is going to read this and answer me :), anyway that was a compliment).............

1. It is for sure, that updates screwed up my system, so how I am supposed to know that what updates I should install and what to ignore?? Please remember, the answer should be for a newbie.
2. Do I really need to update now? I mean the system is working perfect, so is it really necessary to update to a new kernel, and also a huge list which I don't understand what means?
3. I like Cassandra, so do I need to upgrade to Daryna, or newer versions for they are better than Cassandra?? Or is it okay if I just want to continue using Cassandra?

Hats off to Linux developers who are burning midnight oil to deliver a free OS..........Their sweat will be respect even more if the OS is more user friendly and simple to understand for a newbie.

Thanks in anticipation for answering my questions.
michelangelo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What 'UPDATES' should be installed??

Postby Husse on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:48 am

Your question is the exact reason why we made mintUpdate where updates are sorted into categories.
I can't tell you what you should and should not install as the number of updates is overwhelming
However mintUpdate works with Cassandra
To get it you can download an older version as a .deb file
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6034
or enable the Romeo repository. This is however not to recommend to inexperienced users, as Romeo is the unstable Mint repository.
It's OK to continue with Cassandra, especially if you manage updates with mintUpdate :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby michelangelo on Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:24 am

Thanks a lot Husse for the response. By the way, the link that you gave me was for KDE, which was not installing in my Gnome desktop. Somehow I found mintUpdate for gnome, and also icon for menus..........So far so good.
But when I run mintupdate, it shows no list, and the icon in bottom right shows a broken lock. I searched in forum for this behavior and all I could understand that I should go to the log file....and then the file in the bottom and click to tell detail.. So this is the detail of the log file in my comp........
* Launching mintUpdate in root mode
starting refresh
auto-refresh timer is going to sleep for 5 minutes
performing apt-get update
Exception occured in the refresh thread: Failed to fetch http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists ... ackages.gz 302 Found
Failed to fetch http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/dists ... ackages.gz 302 Found

Any suggestions now what to do next?
michelangelo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:53 am

Ouch - you've stumbled across one of the drawbacks of the new (well new last autumn) forum - that it does not display the entire link, so that it's easy to make the mistake you made
The error you get is because you cant connect to the medibuntu repository. It seems to be a bit shaky - it happens now and then.
The simplest way to fix this, and the method I use, is to navigate to /etc/apt > right click > Open a terminal
Then write
Code: Select all
gksudo gedit sources.list

Pasting in a gnome terminal is by right clicking
When sources.list opens up comment out medibuntu so the line looks like
## deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ gutsy free non-free
After that mintUpdate works and you can use it
When done, uncomment the line (same procedure as above) as you'll want updates from there if possible
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby michelangelo on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:08 pm

Thanks a lot! It's working now. :lol:
I edited the source.list. added ## in front of deb http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free, and the job is done! :D I got an update list.

Just few more queries....

1. in my source list I found
deb http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free
and not
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ gutsy free non-free
..........still I got an update list. So should I delete "deb http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free", and replace it with "deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ gutsy free non-free" ??..............I mean I am asking this because you mentioned the second one in your reply. And hence I still didn't install the updates, to make sure that I am downloading the right updates only.

2. Just for my enlightenment (and for others who would read this reply), why do I need to delete those ## again?? And after deleting that, will the mintUpdate still be receiving the updates??

Thanks a lot for your help. :D
michelangelo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:25 pm

I made a potentially serious error - I just copied my line....
You should have feisty
If you uncomment you will have access to that repository again else not
It's not one of the more important, but anyway
To underline
NEVER
have a repository for another version of Mint than you have, or for another version of Ubuntu than the one which is the "sibling" of that Mint
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby michelangelo on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:09 pm

Thanks a lot for the information. :D

Anyway, when I delete ## (uncomment), It stops refreshing, and again shows broken lock. So I kept it with ##.............As long as I get updates, its fine with me. :)

Thanks again. :)
michelangelo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:10 am

It won't update medibuntu.
I'm not having problems with it - it may be your internet that is a bit "shaky"
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby michelangelo on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:31 am

PROBLEM SOLVED !! :)

Husse's help and guidance solved my problem already.

The only problem I was left with was, when I used to uncomment (removing ##), the mintUpdate used to stop refreshing itself. Though Husse told me that it should refresh, or there is a network problem. But my network was otherwise, so I started searching for the reason for this.

I don't know how much I am right, but in a blog entry by 'clem' I came to know that medibuntu have changed their repository address, and the new address is
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ feisty free non-free

(This is the same address that Husse suggested in his reply, but for gusty)

So I changed the address, and as Husse said, I uncommented that too. And now it is refreshing and getting updates. :)

Thank you all.
michelangelo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What 'UPDATES' should be installed?? solved

Postby Husse on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:22 pm

Oh crap - the old address - thought that was changed
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Badut on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi all, my question is similar to michelangelo's so I decided to ask in this thread instead of starting a new one.

I just installed Daryna yesterday and so far am very happy with it. My question is what level of mintupdates should I take to keep my system "secure"? I've already taken all the level 1 and 2. But I've got around 200 level 3's that I wonder if I need.

Everything seems to be working and I'm a big fan of the phrase "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". So should I take the level 3 updates?

I'm wary of the kernel vulnerability mentioned in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=9539
BUT, after reading what updates did to michelangelo's Cassandra, I'm not sure I want to update.

Further info that might help to answer my question.
- I'm not running a server machine
- I'm on a 56k dialup internet connection so it will take ~15 hours to get all the level 3 updates. However, I'm prepared to wait 15 hours if that means my machine is secure.
- being on dialup also means I'm not behind any router that I control (not sure if this has security implications).

:D
Badut
Level 1
Level 1

Postby michelangelo on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:43 am

Dear Badut,
My cassandra was screwed up because I updated it from "Update Manager", which gives updates for Ubuntu.
After that I installed "mintUpdate", and updated my system up to level 3 updates. Any they are working perfect. So I guess you can go for level 3 updates.
:)
michelangelo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:17 am

With such a slow connection just apply level 1 and 2
The kernel exploit just now is about privilege elevation locally - i.e. a user could steel the privileges of another user- not he most important for most of us
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby michelangelo on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:58 am

lol :D
I feel so embarrassed to bother you guys again, but mintUpdates is with problems again.

Today in installed 'Skype' (from Linux Mint Software link only).

After it's installation I noticed that mintUpdate icon is again showing broken lock. I was surprised for what went wrong? Tried to see if there is something wrong in sources list, didn't find any. Tried to comment medibuntu link again, but with no luck. Restarted comp, but didn't help.

Then I uninstall 'Skype' thinking that it might be the reason for this problem, but again no luck. Then I uninstall mintUpdate, and reinstall mintupdate again. But still the same problem. Need not to mention I tried commenting and uncommenting and all this.

One more thing I noticed, when I restart my comp, I see the lock icon open and showing 2 updates available, but when I click the icon to see what are the available updates, it fails to connect, and shows the broken padlock.

Checked my latest log file for error and it shows this.......

* Launching mintUpdate in root mode
starting refresh
auto-refresh timer is going to sleep for 5 minutes
performing apt-get update
Exception occured in the refresh thread: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/ ... Sources.gz Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

So gentlemen any idea what is the reason for this trouble? And any help from someone on how to rectify this?

I don't install softwares from third party sources, and install from linux Mint software link only. I take every precaution not to install wrong elements and still this happen to me!! This is really very frustrating because of that.

Thanks in anticipation.

P.S. ADDITIONAL DETAILS : I tried to download another software from Linux Mint Software link. While downloading the software by mintinstall, I noticed that the mintUpdate was connected and it was also showing the 2 updates it was proposing.
During installation of the software, the mintinstall said
error 9: bad file descriptor

After mintinstall window closed, the mintUpdate was again showing broken padlock, and fail to show me the updates.
Is this has something to do with mintinstall bug? Why is it showing error 9 ? I gave this additional details, if this could help you to understand the problem better.
Last edited by michelangelo on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
michelangelo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wjwheels on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:15 am

One more thing I noticed, when I restart my comp, I see the lock icon open and showing 2 updates available, but when I click the icon to see what are the available updates, it fails to connect, and shows the broken padlock.

The only updates I received after the 3 the other night were 2 (as you indicate) for Firefox.
Quit your princess!
98% of the world doesn't care about your problems.
The other 2% are happy you have them.
wjwheels
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Badut on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:32 pm

michelangelo wrote:So I guess you can go for level 3 updates.
:)

Husse wrote:With such a slow connection just apply level 1 and 2

Thanks for your replies. I will go for the best of both worlds. I'll only take the level 3's that seem important or affect a program I use often. I've taken the kernel update so far and everything is still working fine :)
Badut
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions