Quick Question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Quick Question

Post by deadguy »

Daryna can read and write to both fat and ntfs!

so.. you shouldn't have to re-format your second partition to ext3 unless you wanted to.
of course then you would have to back up all your files as reformatting would erase them.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by catweazle »

As you have decided to quit from windows I would suggest to convert the data partition as well. You should backup your data anyway, so in that case it is no problem to use ext3.

In your case I would go for 3 partitions at least : a root (/), a /home and a third for backup. Better would be to have the backup on a second drive.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

catweazle wrote:As you have decided to quit from windows I would suggest to convert the data partition as well. You should backup your data anyway, so in that case it is no problem to use ext3.
catweazle makes a very good point here.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

ultra wrote:There's only 120 gb on my laptop and about 2/3 of it is dedicated for music and movies. Thanks for the quick replies. Much Appreciated. :mrgreen:
I'm thinking of just doing 2 partitions for now till I get an external drive or a networked one. 120gb isn't much to work with, especially if you want to partition it to 3 drives. Or is it? :mrgreen:
I would put most of your music and other files on to a external hard drive or burn them on CDs or DVDs. Then you can play them when you like and they don't take up a lot of room on your hard drive.

I have Mint 4.0 on a 40GB hard drive with plenty of programs and I still only use 20% of the hard drive!

Enjoy Mint. After Windows, Mint is a breath of fresh air :)
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

vinoman wrote:Enjoy Mint. After Windows, Mint is a breath of fresh air :)

that it is indeed :D
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

I was having a similar dilemma. I have a few hdd's from a couple of old desktops and a new laptop with an 80 gig drive. After testing out some external cases for the hdd's and using them to back up data, etc. I decided to replace the internal drive with a 250 gig drive. I'm using the old hdd's to transfer files, and now they have all the files I need, and are now used as permanent backups. For the new laptop hdd, I have root, swap, and home partitions. These are small, but not tiny - plenty of room for the os and working spaces. Then I have about an 80 gig partition for my mp3s, etc.

john
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

3 partitions is not necessary. I would suggest keeping the ntfs partition with all your files and use manual partition to delete Windows, first create a swap (1.5 x RAM, or equal to RAM depending on how much RAM you got), and then use the rest of the free space to make a root partition (ext3, mount point /).
You could change the ntfs partition to ext3 later on, but if you don't want to backup all of your files now, you could just stay with ntfs for now.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

You have to use static IP? You can't use DNS? And what is your wireless card, or does it work on other networks? I for one always use roaming cause I need to connect to several AP, so a fixed setting is no good to me..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”