Software manager not working

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Software manager not working

Postby kruz on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:48 pm

i am very new to Linux, i just downloaded and installed linux mint KDE version, i opened up software manager to do the obvious of installing new software, but the application exits/closes on its own within seconds, i dont know why, kindly help..

-Krupakar, from India
kruz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Software manager not working

Postby RETNUH on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Open a terminal and input
Code: Select all
mintinstall

After it closes give us the errors the terminal gives.
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. -Albert Einstein

Formerly known as Luckydog.

Looking for me? Check the IRC I've been hanging out there.
RETNUH
Level 4
Level 4

Postby chris0161 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Having same problem and also with Synaptic.
Re installed Synaptic and it stopped auto closing but no joy with Mint Install.

Here is the output :

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:252: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_status_description(self, transaction):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:260: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_role_description(self, transaction):
add_categories took 1.522 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.247 ms
add_packages took 1794.381 ms
add_reviews took 0.028 ms

(mintinstall.py:4284): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
__init__ took 2028.343 ms
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:1137: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/16x16 of theme Mint-KDE has no size field

if theme.has_icon(cat.icon):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:1137: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/22x22 of theme Mint-KDE has no size field

show_category took 17.474 ms
Segmentation fault
chris0161
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kruz on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:06 am

Luckydog wrote:Open a terminal and input
mintinstall

After it closes give us the errors the terminal gives.

The error it displays is: Segmentation fault

attached the screendump: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26 ... ot1ar.png/
kruz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby akeuning on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:49 am

Hi,

I have the same problem. I did a fresh install on a Macbook Pro 5.5, everything works out of the box. But when I start the software manager I got this;

~ $ mintinstall
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:252: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:260: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
add_categories took 1.449 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.225 ms
add_packages took 4130.249 ms
add_reviews took 597.921 ms

(mintinstall.py:3373): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
__init__ took 4881.365 ms
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:1137: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/16x16 of theme Mint-KDE has no size field

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:1137: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/22x22 of theme Mint-KDE has no size field

show_category took 24.806 ms
Segmentation fault

I shut down finger tapping for the touchpad, it works a bit better but after choosing a program to install the software manager crash with the same segmentation fault.

Please help,

Andre
akeuning
Level 1
Level 1

Postby schnorg on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:06 pm

me too!!!!
schnorg
Level 1
Level 1

Postby EricRanders on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:08 am

I have had this problem with both Mint12 Gnome and KDE Anyone with any ideas ? I have also tried to change the software sever from Main to a few others with no luck.
EricRanders
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sagirfahmid3 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Open the terminal and put
sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintinstall

That should reinstall Software Manager properly.
(Lol, so many "install"s in that line!)
sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Postby jut754 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:32 pm

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Open the terminal and put
sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintinstall

That should reinstall Software Manager properly.
(Lol, so many "install"s in that line!)

Tried this and still having problems after reboot. I have attached the snapshot of the terminal process. Not sure if that will help or not.
Attachments
snapshot1.png
Snapshot of "mintinstall reinstall" attempt
snapshot1.png (51.8 KiB) Viewed 5477 times
jut754
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scherzox on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:16 am

I installed LM 12 KDE 32 bit yesterday and experiencing the exact same problem with Software Manager. I'm fine with using Muon or Synaptic for now but wanted to give the official Software Manager a try. I'm subscribing to this thread for updates on the problem. Thanks.
scherzox
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Linux-Admin on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Same problem for me!

1. Reinstalling the package "mintinstall" (the Software Manager) didn't help

2. Trying to find user specific problems
- Removal of the whole userprofile resolved the issue (not a good solution)

3. Restored the user's profile and tried to find the problem... no way!
- logout from kde and removed the whole ~/.kde folder (root @ STRG+ALT+F1) --> Login again as "faulty user" --> same behaviour

4. Logout again and removed folder by folder...
- Login again and again and again... --> same problem

5. grep -iR 'softwaremanager ~/ --> Lot of problems in ~/.xsession-errors

#########################################
Output ~/.xsession-errors:
(filtered for only "mintinstall" related entries)
#########################################

plasma-desktop(3148) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/mintInstall.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
klauncher(3069) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/mintInstall.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:527: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
wTree.get_widget("main_window").show_all()
Killed
##########################################################################################

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
There are lot of Nepomuk related entries as well, like:
(but this should be a different thread)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

##############################################################
"/usr/bin/kfilemetadatareader(3537)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
"/usr/bin/kfilemetadatareader(3537)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"

"/usr/bin/kfilemetadatareader(3537)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
"/usr/bin/kfilemetadatareader(3537)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"

"/usr/bin/kfilemetadatareader(3537)" Soprano: "Unsupported operation (2)": "Invalid model"
"/usr/bin/kfilemetadatareader(3537)" Soprano: "Unsupported operation (2)": "Invalid model"
"/usr/bin/kfilemetadatareader(3537)" Soprano: "Invalid iterator."
Linux-Admin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Linux-Admin on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 pm

I have just found out, that activating "qtcurve" style (System settings --> Application appearance) cause the problem in my case.

1. Closing the Software Manager + Switching back to "Oxygen" and then reopening Software Manager
and the problem has gone...

2. Closing Software Manager + Switching back to "Qtcurve" + Open the Software Manager again
and it doesn't work again

3. Examine the issue with QTCURVE_DEBUG command:
3.1 open a terminal as root
3.2 Enter: QTCURVE_DEBUG=1 mintinstall

Output:
################################################################
add_categories took 2.302 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.381 ms
add_packages took 4565.961 ms
add_reviews took 0.059 ms

(mintinstall.py:5588): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
__init__ took 4760.251 ms

show_category took 34.771 ms
Segmentation fault
#########################################################################

It's sad but true, there are just 2 possible solutions by now:
1. Deactivate "Qtcurve" whenever "Software Manager" is needed
or
2. Use apt-get install/remove and dpkg -l as equivalent from command line

I'll try to send this to the developers as well (if not to much work)

As I said, it solved the problem for me. (Qtcurve). I have no idea if it helps for your config!?

Linux-Admin
Linux-Admin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pvbrandes on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Not working for me either. After initial install, the Software Manger panel would open for a split second then close. Now it opens and stays open, but none of the icons show, except the "Featured" category icon. Also, none of the listings show an "Install" option.

This is a Mint 12 KDE 32-bit installation.
pvbrandes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Bunce on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 am

I have the same issue fresh install Mint 12 KDE 32 bit version. Software manager Starts says gathering imformation for packages and then when it should go to the next screen it closes.

While writing this I tried Software Manager again to make sure I got the description of events right and it worked fine. I have not changed anything on my system in the few hours since I initially encountered this problem.

Interim activitites included:
Web browsing
Installed chrome via web deb package download
Installed xchat via apt-get
Watched a movie in VLC
Can't think of anything else I did in that time. I don't think any of these would solved the issue

Wait one more thing I installed Nautilus via apt-get maybe that did it? I did not let it overwrite my defualt file extension associations I kept the file that was already present on the system.
Bunce
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bobbill on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:58 pm

i have the same problem my software manager is not working but when i try to use the terminal all i get is this

Depends: libsmpeg0 but it is not going to be installed
libavcodec53 : Depends: libavutil51 (< 4:0.8.1-99) but 4:0.8.4-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 is to be installed or
libavutil-extra-51 (< 4:0.8.1.99) but it is not going to be installed
libavformat53 : Depends: libavcodec53 (>= 4:0.8.4-0ubuntu0.12.04.1) but 4:0.8.1-0ubuntu1 is to be installed or
libavcodec-extra-53 (>= 4:0.8.4) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

if i could get some help that would be great :D
bobbill
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions