Terminal comes up with white screen

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Terminal comes up with white screen

Postby Mie on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Hello
I have just installed Linux Mint, which went smooth. And it seems to be working fine. However, when i try to run Terminal from the Start menu, a white box instead of Terminal comes up, but in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen there still is the mie@xxxx: ~$ box. When I try to run a file by clicking 'run in terminal' nothing happens. I can, however, start Terminal from Alt + F2 and then type Xterm.
I am new on Linux, so I need a couple of good ideas to what might be wrong??
/Mie
Mie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Terminal comes up with white screen

Postby newW2 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:02 pm

What graphic are you using? Nvidia, ATI, ...

If nvidia try this in terminal:

sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visual
Last edited by newW2 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Mie on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:08 pm

I use nVidia Geforce Go 7600. I used Envy to install the driver. I also tried to uninstall the driver, but Terminal still came up as a white screen.
When I try 'sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-arbg-glx-visual' it says unrecognized option??
Mie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dutchmaster on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:48 pm

I think I remember this right....

At my first reboot once the OS was installed fresh, I deleted "go splash" and added "vesa" in the boot instructions at the bottom of the page at the initial boot choice screen. My Geforce 6100 booted up ok then.

Still the initial white screen now even with Nvidia installed, but no problems once the login screen appears.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Mie on Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:10 pm

I decided to reinstall, as none of the suggestions solved the problem. After the reinstall, and before installing the nVidia driver, everything worked fine. I then installed the nVidia driver, using Envy, whereafter the problem reappered. So, the nVidia driver must be the villain.
Any suggestions for an alternative driver? Or how to work around it?
Mie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mie on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:25 am

Tried to enable the nVidia driver throug the restricted driver, and it seems to be working now. Althoug I don't know why :)
Thank you for the replys.
Mie
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions