Boot difficulties - now in Celena

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Boot difficulties - now in Celena

Postby T J Tulley on Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:20 pm

I've had repeated intermittent problems with Daryna but Celena has always booted with no trouble until today, when it repeatedly changed to a text screen as soon as the Gnome progress bar completed its traverse.

The text screen reported, inter alia, Dazuko module is not loaded. It went on . . .
Starting Imaging and printing system . . . root (hd0,4) - {which is correct for Celena}
then mentioning initrd - /boot/initiated . . .
kinit name_to _de_t
kinit: trying to resume . . .
kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot
TJT4Celena login# {a prompt waiting for my response}
followed by Password {a prompt waiting for my response} - after these were entered
it showed: last login - giving the date & time of the previous attempt - I tried several times.
Finally, Unable to cd to /home/theo
and a repeated login prompt. I finally exited with [Ctrl][Alt][Del].

Please, what can I do about this?
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Boot difficulties - now in Celena

Postby JohnH on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:37 am

Hi there,

I can't from the information supplied give you any geeky help.

If it were me having this kind of problem I would save precious data in the /home partition or folder (depending how you have set up you system). I would then do a complete install using Daryna (this assumes your Daryna disk is not the problem - it could be a bad copy).

If everything runs okay, then good. Before doing the reinstall though, check to see if the disk might be faulty. Try to boot it from your CD drive. Daryna disks a "live cds" so it should boot and run (i.e. put disk in cd drive and reboot computer). If the boot from the live cd runs okay then do a fresh reinstall.

If it doesn't run properly suspect a bad disk or hardware problem. Solution: get a new download and start again.

Regards
John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Boot difficulties - now in Celena

Postby T J Tulley on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:03 am

Thanks JohnH.

I did a re-install for Daryna and that is generally - not always - booting OK - but the post you replied to referred to a new difficulty with Celena - from which I am trying to extract some recent e-mails from Thunderbird's Mail/Local folders file. Currently I can't open my Celena installation and need urcent help with that particular issue.

Difficulties with Thunderbird will be the subject of other posts - please don't start on that at present!

There is another topic in Newbies about Boot problems: Daryna in Recovery mode - where a related problem is discussed. The third post in that topic (my reply to the first reply) gives a fairly full account of my hardware and recent experience. All of this follows a re-install of Daryna trying to eliminate the puzzle of triple-mounting of one or other of the Windows partitions, resulting in loss of access to two of them. This continues, and has to be corrected at each boot by a sequence of sudo commands.

Perhaps it might come to a fresh download of the Daryna iso file, as you suggest!

BTW, I keep all my data and backups in Windows partitions, including directories such as .mozilla-Thunderbird and some of its sub-directories, and .tomboy, from different places and dates distinguished by the name of the folder in which they are placed.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions